MyCloud shows in Mac Finder, but can't connect

Greetings all! We just set up a new MyCloud 4TB. It is connected to our Windows desktop via Ethernet and works fine – we can upload files to it and see all the shares. We can also access it from our Android phones and our iPad without an issue. So far so good.

BUT …

We also have two iMac desktops which we are trying to connect to the MyCloud. On both, we can see the MyCloud in the Finder (under Shared) but we cannot connect to it. Double-clicking on the MyCloud in the Finder brings up a window which says “connecting…” for a while then errors out with the message “the server may not exist or it is unavailable at this time.” Attempting to connect using the steps to map a drive yields the same message. Using WD Access and WD Sync yields similar results (they can see the MyCloud but not connect to it).

One iMac is running Mavericks, the other Sierra. We have updated the firmware on the MyCloud to the latest version. We don’t want to use the MyCloud for Time Machine, so I have that feature turned off in the MyCloud Dashboard.

Any help or advice would be most welcome and gratefully accepted.

Access the dashboard of the My Cloud and check your list of shares. If you see one called “.twonkymedia” go ahead and delete it. It is ok to delete since it is created when a system only restore is done . Wait a minute after deleting it and then try connecting from the Mac. You might want to re-launch Finder from the “Force Quit” menu if it does not work right away.

I didn’t see a share with that name. I did go ahead and delete a couple of other shares which were created by the system and were empty, just to reduce the clutter.

I tried connecting from the Mac again, including relaunching Finder, with no success.

1 Like

Hello,

Did you resolve this in the end as im havin this issue with my imac at the moment and cannot find a soloution for the issue anywhere. nay help would be amazing