MyCloud seen as media server but not as storage

I have a 2tb MyCloud that is not upgradeable to OS5. I cannot access or upload files on it. Okay, I can get into the dashboard. My Sonos system find all my music, in the folder hierchy I created and plays it. I can get into Twonky but that is useless because it shows photos and music in tiny, random groupings. And with either, I cannot upload files. I have enabled SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support and Netbios Over TCP/IP as well as all the obvious stuff, Network Discovery, file sharing etc. I have tried lists of suggestions from numerous websites. I would like to use the deice as it is intended: storage that I can acess from all the devices on my LAN. But I have spent well over a week on this and I am about to rip the hard drive out if the thing and put it in a Buffalo NAS enclosure. Win10.0.19043 Build 19043.

Some troubleshooting steps:
Can you access the My Cloud using it’s IP address in Windows File Explorer?
Is the Network Type in Windows 10 set to Private and not Public?
Is the My Cloud using the same workgroup name as the Windows computer?
Have you tried a 40 second reset?

Note that if your device cannot be updated to OS5 there are specific subforums for OS3 devices where such discussions about OS3 issues are more appropriate:
https://community.wd.com/c/network-attached-storage/9

@graphicgreg

If you want to make your device for your network only then go to the Dashboard and change the Network setting address to Static. See example image below. Fill in the IP Address and Netmask boxes. Be sure to Save this. Be sure to stop Cloud Access and Internet access. You can pin your device to Quick Access and the Start Menu. See example image below.

Click on, tap, or activate images to enlarge them.

See my prior topic on this too.

WDMYCLOUD 1st Generation now on my Network only - My Cloud OS 3 Personal Cloud Storage / My Cloud - WD Community

So. . . .I have read ALL the tips and tricks as well.

Simply put, OS/3 devices don’t really show up under “network” in windows file explorer. Sure. . . it shows up OCCASSIONALLY. . . but not reliably. I am DONE with trying to make it work.

BUT. . . .the good news is you can still access the device on the network and as a media server. That means it is alive and healthy.

To access files, all you need to do is type \ipaddress or \device name in the windows explorer address bar. (Use double slashes; double slashes don’t show up in this forum application). You should be prompted for credentials.

Note: Windows Credential manager only allows ONE set of credentials per IPaddress/device name per user on a single pc

Note: Static IP really helps. . . .do it. It can be done from the NAS. Better to do it from the router.

Thats a good reason to use an image!

To open a share, see example images below.

Everyone has different experiences. Having used, and having family members use, a number of My Cloud devices (all OS3) they all show up in Windows File Explorer correctly (including under Network neighborhood) provided Windows (including Windows File Explorer) is configured properly. For Windows this means SMB1.0 enabled in the Windows settings, this means Private selected for Network Type, this mean every device using the same workgroup name, this means checking any third party AV or security programs to ensure they are not blocking LAN devices.

Apologies for the poor etiquette in posting to the wrong forum. I will post any future questions to the OS3 forum. And I will look there for a solution too.
I cannot access the drive content using the IP #. With double backslash, nothing, without it takes me to the MC dashboard.
The network has always been set to private and the workgroup names are the same. I have tried the soft reset.
I was hoping the suggestion to switch to Static Network Mode was going to do the trick, but it didn’t. I couldn’t even get to the dashboard to revert to DHCP without doing a 40sec reset.
This is all too weird for me. About 6 months ago is when MyCloud disappeared from Network Devices on on desktop computer. About that same time, when I would use the MyCloud app on my Android tablet to access the files, I would get ads befor it connected to the device. I figured that WD was making changes in order to monetize the device.
Anyway, thanks for your suggestions all. I will dig around the OS3 forum and the links you have provided.

@graphicgreg

I have already written about placing my OS3 My Cloud on my home network.

I just went into my new router and changed the protection on all three of my wi-fi connections, 2.4, 5 and 6 to WPA3 Personal. I checked on File Explorer and now everything that was missing is now showing. See images below. Click on, tap, or activate images to enlarge them.

Image One

Image Two

WDMYCLOUDWPA3PersonalB

I will give that a try - Thanks!

Unfortunately I do not have that option with our Arris router. Best I can do is WPA2-PSK, which is what it is set to.

@graphicgreg
and others.

I had to go back and make a change on my 2.4GHz band to make things work. I have some devices that are old and do not work with WPA3 Personal. See image below. If I have any problems, I’ll post about them.

rats. I also lack WPA3. :frowning:

Let’s see if it keeps working. . . . .my issue is that things tend to disappear after a reboot :frowning:

(I am thinking it’s a masterbrowser issue. . but I have never been able to figure it out. . . . the ONE good thing about OS/5. . . .is that this problem is cured.)