myCloud, Mavericks

Once in awhile the myCloud, 2TB, will not do a TimeMachine backup. A message says the disk is already in use. I then delete that disk and try to select the myCloud again. I then get a message that the iMac. sparsebundle is in use and I should delete that bundle.  Any suggestions?

Map the share for the backup with AFP, then try again.

Map the share for the backup with AFP - how do I do that?

I’m having the same difficulty.  A few weeks ago (about 2 weeks after setting a new MBP and My Cloud TIme Machine backup), I received the following messages:  Time Machine couldn’t complete the backup to “WDMyCloud”.  The backup disk image “/Volumes/TimeMachineBackup/[my MBP name].sparsebundle” is already in use.  Couldn’t figure out what was wrong so I tried deselecting and reselecting.  That only worked for a few days and then I received message that the backup was corrupt.  I ended up having Time Machine delete the backup and start fresh.  This morning I recieved the same message re: TM not being able to complete the backup.

I’ve set up Time Machine to backup with the “Registered User” option (rather than “Guest”).  I will try mapping the share with AFP.

I have confirmed that the two other MBPs and 1 PC in the house are not connecting to My Cloud so I’m not sure

mart.tamm:  In the Finder, click on “Go”, and select “Connect to Server…”.  Once there, you should type the location of the Time Machine share.  I found that by going to Time Machine options and hovering my cursor above the disk in the “Select Disk” menu…type the same address and click the “+”.  (At least that’s the way I think it’s done!)

Hopefully this will solove the problem.  WIll find out soon.

Unfortunately that didn’t work.

ThePizzaMatrix, did I map the share correctly?  Thanks in advance for the assistance.

For mapping, on the server name try AFP://NASname.local or AFP://NASIP Only use registered user for a private share that uses a password. If not go guest for public access.

The PizzaMatrix,

Thanks…I tried the first suggestion but not the ip (I use fixed IPs).  WIll try that if there is a problem again.

I also used registered user.

In the meantime I restarted the myCloud through its own web interface.  That seems to have done the trick (at least since last week!).

I am also haing this issue, feel like I wasted another $350 on a WD product. Is there a fix that works and has been tested? Is there goin to be?

Wiseguy13

what WD product did you buy with your first $350?

I’m having the same problem as other people in this thread. Unfortunately I’m not a techie and your instructions are over my head:,

“For mapping, on the server name try AFP://NASname.local or AFP://NASIP Only use registered user for a private share that uses a password. If not go guest for public access.”

Could you please provide step by step guidance for this (where do I go, what do I input, etc)?

Thank you!

Karen

both SMB and AFP are the same in terms of mapping, just the prefix changes.

1.  click on the desktop to see the finder menu at the top  

2. select menu item Go, then select Connect to Server

3. if you haven’t changed the MyCloud device name then the following will apply, type in Server Address:

AFP://WDMyCloud.local 

optionally

AFP://192.168.xxx.xxx   <== your IP for the cloud device.

if you want to use SMB instead…

SMB://WDMyCloud.local 

optionally

SMB://192.168.xxx.xxx   <== your IP for the cloud device.

However for Time Machine you must use AFP (Apple File Protocol)

1. click connect

2. you will be prompted for your Name: and Password: or you can connect as: Guest. Enter your Name and Password as you have created on the Cloud device.

3. Now click connect

4. You will be prompted to select the volumes (shares) you want to mount on WDMyCloud.local

5. select the volume

6. This will now show up as an icon on your desktop. 

7. Now start up time machine and you should see the destination.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I followed the steps you described. When I get to step 8, “select the volume” Time Machine Backup is in grey and not selectable (I’m assuming that is the volume i was supposed to select).  Please provide further assistance. And thanks for the help!

KarenC wrote:

I followed the steps you described. When I get to step 8, “select the volume” Time Machine Backup is in grey and not selectable (I’m assuming that is the volume i was supposed to select).  Please provide further assistance. And thanks for the help!

Although I use a Mac, I have deleted my Time Machine Backup Share so I’m just going on assumptions for the following.

On the dashboard,

1. go to Shares

2. select Time Machine Backup

3. under User Access select your Users for full access

I just noticed this in the Dashboard, General Settings, and Mac Backups, with Configure beside the Time Machine on/off. Check this out if it might help.

Ok… so it seems like I’m having a connection problem. When I log into my cloud, under Cloud Access it says “Cannot establish remote access connection. Make sure you are connected to the Internet.”

I’ve restarted the Cloud device. I’ve also unplugged it and reset it and restarted my modum. I’ve also restarted my computer. I did not make any changes to my set up to trigger an issue. It must connect occassionally b/c it has backed up twice in the last 2 days. 

Help please… how do I troubleshoot the fact that it “cannot establish remote access”?

Karen

You do not need remote access during this procedure as you are mapping the cloud shares as local drives.  

You do need to know your dashboard IP though in order to get access to your dashboard.

1 Like

Ok, I think I’m up and running. Thank you!

Here is what I did to solve this problem with my WD MyCloud device.

1. Access WD MyCloud through the Web Interface. To access WD MyCloud through the Web Interface:  Launch Safari. In the Safari toolbar, click the bookmark icon (tooltip: Show all bookmarks). In the left pane, click Bonjour. In the right pane, click your WD My Cloud.  The WD My Cloud web interface displays.
  2. Under settings, under General, under Mac Backups, toggle Time Machine off.
  3. Under settings, under Utilities, Reboot device
  4. Once WD starts up again, turn Time Machine on following the same instructions used to turn it off.
  5. Go to Time Machine on your Mac and select the TimeMachineBackup on the WD MyCloud device.

This worked for me, I hope it works for  you.

Followed these steps exactly and got the same error message when trying to connect to that drive. 

The disk image “MachineName.sparsebundle” is in use.  Try ejecting the disk image. 

I’ve had so many issues with this drive I’m about to give up.  I’m no novice but I’m no Mac expert either.  This has been and continues to be very frustrating. 

I still get an error message that the:

“machinename.sparsebundle” is already in use.  Try ejecting the disk…

I have the same issue. I tried Karen’s steps a fwe days ago and it worked, but only for one day. After taking my macbook to work, and coming home I had the same issue. I am sure that time machine was not running when i closed down, so the sparsebundle could not have been in use by a previous backup…

Anyone any ideas?

Thank you in advance