MyCloud NAS No longer connects to Mac Time Machine

I have 2 MacBook Air M1 machines. Had been using Time Machine with a MyCloud NAS for over 3 years. No problems. About 2 months ago, I could no longer backup to the MyCloud on one of the MacBook Airs (running Sonoma). Kept showing Preparing backup and then timing out. Rebooted all devices reconnected ethernet, still no go. Removed the MyCloud disk from TM and tried to re-add it. Now it can’t find it and can’t list it.

The second MacBook Air (Monterey) was still able to backup to MyCloud but then about a month later, I can try to backup but only get “Looking for backup Disk” and then it times out. If I remove the MyCloud from the TM prefs, it will no longer be able to re-add it.

I can mount the Time Machine backup volumes without any problem. Just can’t connect to the backup disks. Anyone else experiencing this? thanks.

Apple and WD have deprecaited AFP. Ensure you are using SMB instead when connecting to the My Cloud Time Machine Share.

How to Use macOS Time Machine Backups with a My Cloud OS 5

macOS Time Machine “Backup Disk Not Available” or Finder “Connection Error” on My Cloud OS 5

Thanks for your help. I can mount the disk using SMB and access my Time Machine backup folders. It is when I try to ADD DISK (+) to TM. MyCloud does not show in the available disks, and cannot select USE DISK. My other TM external disks show and are available as backup disks.

I have the EXACT same problem. I think it coincided with an Apple update. For years, everything worked fine but now when I go into my Time Machine settings, there is no WD/NAS TimeMachine Backup to use as a backup. I can access the existing backups for all my Macs but none of them see the NAS device as a viable option to back up on. Have you gotten any PM’s from WD about this? or does anyone know of a new thread im missing on a fix? So far there are no new updates for the firmware.

Try this,

Thank you for the attempt, but that did not work. currently have no drive for my backup. when I try to add a backup disk, I get a msg that no drives are available…
db

Hi,

Can you tell us the version you are running? macOS and My Cloud OS?
Did you try to disable and enable again the Time Machine backups option on My Cloud OS? (settings > general > Time Machine backups)

Good luck!

First, awesome, thank you for reaching out.
yes, I tried disable/enable. Tried changing sizes too. Just did a NAS update yesterday and tried it all again.

MacOS is Sonoma 14.4.1 on both of my Macs which are having the same problem from the same date. which I can’t tell you when it started b/c I also deleted my backups so it could start fresh but I think it was sometime in feb/march.

NAS device is currently running 5.28.105 (updated yesterday)

db