MyCloud Home Duo upload not possible

Hello,

we bought a WD MyHome Duo about three months ago and we are still trying to get it working. We are also in contact with the WD support team right now but I figured that it would also be a good idea to ask the community, so here we go:

• The cloud is connected via ethernet to a WiFi bridge which is part of the WiFi of the router
  • Two computers (both Windows 10) trying to access the cloud
  • Computer A is connected via cable to the router
  • Computer B is connected via WiFi to the router

Both have installed the WD Discovery App and have added the cloud as a network drive (accessible from both). But only computer A can actually upload any file to the cloud. And this is where things get a little shifty…

Computer B can also upload files, but only small ones. If we try to upload bigger files (about 1GB), they disappear. If we try to upload three files at once (each about 70 MB), one of the files disappears. If we delete the other two files and try to upload the three files again, another one of them disappears. With “disappearing” I mean that the upload is “finished”, but if we try to look for the file, e.g. on the web interface of the cloud, the file is nowhere to find. So we verified it a couple of times (like 100 times) that the files actually disappear (or are never uploaded).

Weird, right? Another thing that is super weird to me is that computer A gets the regular 6MB/s when uploading files which is what I expected for 2.4 GHz WiFi. If we drag n drop a file from computer B to the cloud, it sometimes shows a 300 MB/s upload speed, sometimes only a 50 MB/s upload speed. Both impossible for 2.4 GHz.

Computer A

• Hexacore 3.2 GHz
  • 16 GB DDR4 Ram

Computer B

• Quadcore 3 GHz
  • 16 GB DDR3 Ram

What we have already tried:

• Connect the computer B directly via ethernet to the router
  • Connect the cloud directly to the router
  • And any possible combination of the two first points
  • Reinstall WD Discovery
  • Disable the Windows Defender Firewall and G Data Firewall

Nothing worked so far. Did anyone have the same problem already? Or does anyone have some ideas of which things to try to find out what the problem actually is?

Thanks

@DirtyWeasel
What is the make and model of the network router and wifi bridge?
Have you connected the My Cloud Home directly to the same router as the two computers and eliminated the WiFi bridge from equation?
Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5GHz wifi band?
Is everything GigaBit and not 100BaseT ?
Are you attempting to use Desktop Sync at all?

Hello, @SBrown

thank you for you quick reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

What is the make and model of the network router and wifi bridge?

The router is a 1&1 Fritz!Box 7272, the wifi bridge is a TP-LINK TL-WA860RE

Have you connected the My Cloud Home directly to the same router as the two computers and eliminated the WiFi bridge from equation?

We have already tried that with no significant changes to the outcome of our experiments.

Are you using 2.4 GHz or 5GHz wifi band?

We are using 2.4 GHz.

Is everything GigaBit and not 100BaseT ?

Everything is GigaBit.

Are you attempting to use Desktop Sync at all?

No we are not using the Desktop Sync since we are trying to store the files exclusively in the cloud (to free up space on the computer).

EDIT:
We tried the Desktop Sync on computer B just out of curiosity and we were able to upload a folder which contained 3 big files (1.7GB, 7GB, 6.9GB). However, we were trying to free up space on the computer, so the Desktop Sync does not solve the problem completely.

@DirtyWeasel thanks for the information. I’m not able to duplicate your issue at all using a different router of course and multiple (4) computers via wifi/lan logged into the same mycloud.com account using WD Discovery.

MORE QUESTIONS:

1. Due you have the same issue when using the //MyCloud-XXXX/Public share?
  2. Is it possible to provide screenshots and or perhaps a video of the issue?
  3. What type of files are being used and what are the NTFS permissions on those files?

These questions are asked because WD Discovery Desktop app use CBFS (Call Back File System) to mounted the network drive and the Public Share using traditional Samba.

@SBrown thank you for your reply.

What type of files are being used and what are the NTFS permissions on those files?

I think the files itself are not the problem since we can actually upload the exact same files from the other computer. But to answer your question: We usually use a film (.avi, 1.7GB) to reproduce the issue.

Due you have the same issue when using the //MyCloud-XXXX/Public share?

We just tried it and it worked! It is only the public share but we can at least drag’n’drop files to the cloud now.

So this means that the problem has something to do with how the network drive is connected?

Keep in the Public share is ONLY a local LAN share.
Content in the Public share cannot be seen in the Web, Mobile or Desktop App.
Content in the Public share cannot be accessed remotely.

Now let’s eliminate computer B from the picture.

• Sign out of MyCloud.com in WD Discovery on Computer B

• Do not Sign in on Computer B for now

• Sign Out of MyCloud.com in WD Discovery on Computer A

• Reboot computer A

• Sign In MyCloud.com in WD Discovery on Computer A

• Open the Web Browser on Computer A

• Sign in to MyCloud.com

• Go to Settings → Current Storage and Note the Connection Type (it should be “local”)

• What is the current network connection path to the MCH of Computer A?
    Is this correct?

Windows 10 → Ethernet → Fritz!Box 7272 → 2.4 GHz → TP-LINK TL-WA860RE → Ethernet → My Cloud Home Duo

• What status is the “Smart Signal Indicator” on the TP-LINK TL-WA860RE?

• How far away is the router from the TP-LINK TL-WA860RE?

• Verify that you have no problems drag and drop or copy and paste content from Computer A
    to the My Cloud Home Duo using the desktop app. Nothing should disappear.

• Use the MyCloud.com mobile app for Android or iOS and the Web App via a browser to verify that
    all is OK.

• Sing Out of MyCloud.com in WD Discovery on Computer A, Reboot and Sign in Again on Computer A.

• Verify that all content is OK

Go to Settings → Current Storage and Note the Connection Type (it should be “local”)

It is actually in Relay mode.

Windows 10 → Ethernet → Fritz!Box 7272 → 2.4 GHz → TP-LINK TL-WA860RE → Ethernet → My Cloud Home Duo

That is correct.

What status is the “Smart Signal Indicator” on the TP-LINK TL-WA860RE?

Best connection. The bridge is only about 2 meters away from the router.

Verify that you have no problems drag and drop or copy and paste content from Computer A
to the My Cloud Home Duo using the desktop app. Nothing should disappear.

That is correct, that works fine, just like it did before.

EDIT: I put the MyCloud right next to the router, so the setup is now:

• Windows → Ethernet → Router → Ethernet → MyCloud
  • UPnP is activated for the MyCloud
  • The connection type is still “Relay”

Unfortunately relocating the My Cloud Home has changed the network dynamics and voided any logging that was done during our previous steps. :frowning:

The next step was to

• SIGN OUT of MyCloud.com in WD Discovery and computer A

• Power OFF Computer A

• Sign in to MyCloud.com on Computer B

• Get the network path of Computer B (like we did with computer A)

• Open a browser on Computer B and check for files added by Computer A in the previous steps

• Get the Connection Status of the My Cloud in Computer B web browser

• Create a NEW Directory on the MCH from Computer B

• Drag and Drop files to the New Directory from Computer B

• Verify all the files added from Computer A are still there in Mounted Drive and the Web browser App

• Drag and Drop files to the same directory as Computer A from Computer B

• Verify all the files are there from all computers in all directories

Unfortunately relocating the My Cloud Home has changed the network dynamics and voided any logging that was done during our previous steps.

Oh, I wasn’t aware of that.

Get the network path of Computer B (like we did with computer A)

Computer B → WiFi → Router → Ethernet → MCH

Open a browser on Computer B and check for files added by Computer A in the previous steps

They are there and accessible.

Get the Connection Status of the My Cloud in Computer B web browser

The connection type is Relay.

Drag and Drop files to the New Directory from Computer B

After drag’n’droping the file in the new folder on the MCH it shows a speed of about 100 MB/s, it is done after about 17 seconds for the 1.7GB file and the Windows Explorer starts to hang. The file is not uploaded.

This almost sounds like there’s something seeing large or long network transfers using the Call Back File System (CBFS) as a DDOS attack or intrusion and is being blocked. Of course, this is not the case for the Public share because since it’s not a “Network Drive” but a Samba Share access.

The big questions are: is it at the FritxBox router or some software installed on Computer B? and if so, why is it only affecting Computer B and not Computer A?

https://en.avm.de/service/fritzbox/fritzbox-7390/knowledge-base/publication/show/57_Security-functions-firewall-of-the-FRITZ-Box/

NOTE: I test with 10 GB single large files

Hm but the firewall does only work on incoming packets, not on packets that the router routes inside of the network or outgoing packets.

The big questions are: is it at the FritxBox router or some software installed on Computer B? and if so, why is it only affecting Computer B and not Computer A?

I did not install anything on the router itself. There is G-Data installed on computer B which is not installed on computer A, but we already disabled that completely (the virus scanner and the firewall) and did the tests without any changes to the outcome…

What does the Relay mode actually technically mean? Does it mean that we are connecting to our MHC via a remote WD server?

EDIT:
So we eliminated the WiFi now, so the new network setup is now

• Computer B - Ethernet - Router - Ethernet - MHC
  • We tried to upload two files at the same time (each about 7GB)
  • Only one file was uploaded successfully, the other one was not uploaded (just like the strange behavior I explained in my original post)

Not all all Familiar with G-Data, but some Anti Virus & Internet Security Software can remain operational even when disabled or not running. If this is the case, a complete uninstall may be the the only solution.

Proxy Relay Mode means access to the My Cloud Home from the client device (computer) being used is being accessed using the WD Relay Servers in AWS. Normally this is an indicated of local LAN network access blocking or filtering, uPnP at the router is not actually working although it is enabled or there’s some other network interference that prevents Port Forward Mode which normally happen with UpNP.

However, if your Fritzbox is directly connected to the internet via your ISP and your ISP has another IP address service device that you are not aware of, then the MCH would be Double NAT’s and forded into Proxy mode.

Bottom line is that both Computer A and Computer B should have Local Connections and not Proxy so there’s definitely something going on with the local LAN

Okay thank you for your time and your explanations.

We will uninstall GData and do our tests again. I’ll edit this post when we got to do it.

Hm okay so the traffic goes out of the network and then in to the network to the MHC. This could indeed trigger a firewall, but it doesn’t make sense that it would only trigger a firewall if computer B uploads something, since the destination and source (the WD Relay Server in AWS) IP addresses should be the same for the incoming packets.

I verified that UPnP is actually working on the router. In the router logs I can see that the could is opening ports (49593) on its own. But I do not know if it works porperly. Maybe the cloud is trying to open more ports and the router denies that?

We have only one NAT in our local network and the router is directly connected to the ISP. I am not aware of any ISP using a NAT in their backbone.

EDIT:
I captured some traffic when uploading files to the MHC with Wireshark and the packets are actually directly addressed to the MHC, so it should not leave the local network unless the MHC takes the packets and sends them to the relay server to receive the same packets e.g. on a different port.

@SBrown

So the complete uninstall of GData did solve the problem! The upload in the private space is possible now. However, two problems still remain:

1. MyHome Cloud is still in Relay mode even though it shouldn’t according to the network layout
  2. The program WD Backup which we downloaded via the WD Discovery does not find the MyHome Cloud.
  1. Private Message me the email address used for MyCloud.com
  2. WD Backup is for DAS (My Passport and My Book) and is not supported by the My Cloud Home