MyCloud destroyed 1/3 of my video collection :-(

• Plugged in external 2TB drive full of video files
  • copied everything to WD internal drive
  • repartitioned and reformatted external drive
  • copied everything back to the USB drive.

Now every single video file is slightly damaged, one or two I-Frames damaged per every hundred MB, just enough to be annoying and unwatchable. Every. Single. File.

The copying from USB drive to internal went without errors. It was done through the USB3 port on the MyCloud. The copying from internal drive to USB drive was done over the network because the MyCloud cannot write to external USB drives because of a hardware bug:

see

and

Because it did not report any errors while copying the files from the USB drive to the MyCloud I did not suspect any problems at this point and proceeded with reformatting the USB drive while I thought the backup on the MyCloud was ok. But at this point in time the files were already damaged. This was before I ran into the USB write problems and opened the above two threads here which are btw still ignored and unanswered by WD staff.

I noticed the damage today.

This is the first time in 30 years I have seen a file copy between two disks that succeeds without any read or write errors damage the entire content.

My recommendation: Do not buy this ■■■■. It will destroy your data!

I copy gigs and gigs of video to and from the WD MyCloud and USB with Zero Corruption and no read or write errors. Have been doing it for at least 3 years with no issues.

Sorry to hear your strange problem. But i would advise in your Step 3 Procedure “repartitioned and reformatted external drive”

To always have a backup of your data before doing that … in case something goes wrong

which, in your case … something has.

Strange. I’ve used several different external USB hard drives connected to the My Cloud (first gen) USB port to copy multiple 100GB’s of data (video files) to/from the My Cloud without issue.

Perhaps the problem lies with copying the data across the network?

Although I’ve never had problems copying large amounts of data over Ethernet to and from the My Cloud to a USB hard drive attached to one of my PC’s. Its how I have a secondary backup of my existing My Cloud data in addition to the Safepoint backup to a USB hard drive attached to the My Cloud.

That’s totally bizarre.

It seems highly unlikely to be the fault of either drive. An incredibly specific corruption to ONLY I-Frames? The drives have no idea what the content is, so it’s not like it can only corrupt I-Frames and leave B-Frames and P-Frames (which are much more numerous) unharmed.

Like the other posters, I have moved TERABYTES of data on and off my various My Cloud drives and have never had any corruption problems.

No. But only in I-Frames it is noticeable to the eye because a missing I-Frame causes a long sequence of corrupted images until the next clean I-Frame arrives and that is the symptom I am observing, a damaged P- or B-Frame should only cause corruption for a fraction of a second, so there might be much more corruption but it becomes only noticeable if it happens to hit an I-Frame. At least that is my (limited) understanding of video codecs.

But I might be wrong and any corruption causes this same symptom, in that case it should read “one or two Frames damaged per every hundred MB (noticeable by a few seconds of distorted image until it can resync with the next new clean I-Frame)”

So essentially the WD MyCloud has sprinkled a subtle corruption evenly across 2TB of files in equal distances, just enough to make every video partially corrupted every few minutes.

The Ethernet installation in my house is a few years old and has always worked reliably. Mysterious file corruption only began the very day I received my brand new MyCloud and it stopped the day I sent it back for a refund. The very first file corruption were the files on that 2TB USB drive which was the first thing I plugged into the USB plug of the MyCloud to move these files from the USB to the MyCloud.

Somebody in another forum has suggested it might be because of defective RAM.

Does the MyCloud have ECC RAM? Does the MyCloud do any kind of automated memory check?