MyCloud App?

I have it installed on both Macs, and Windows this useful Desktop application, version 1.0.7.13 on the Mac.

I understand it has been discontinued. It was a useful application for easy access to files on the My Cloud drive.

What did WD replace it with???

I use it to email links to photos files, and folders as opposed to the web link.

Comments?

Not sure what “app” you are talking about. One can see the currently available downloads for the single bay My Cloud at the following WD Support link.

Software for Windows
WD My Cloud Setup for Windows
My Net View Network Evaluation Tool
WD Quick View for Windows
WD SmartWare
WD Sync for Windows
WD Access for Windows

Software for Mac
WD My Cloud Setup for Mac
WD Quick View for Mac
WD Sync for Mac
WD Access for Mac

Software for Mobile
My Cloud for iOS
My Cloud for Android

One can still download the My Cloud Desktop program at the following links:
Windows: http://download.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloud_win.exe
Mac: http://download.wdc.com/nas/WDMyCloud_mac.dmg

MYCLOUD

Here is the application I am referring to.

Thanks for responding.

I think you mean the app here?

I think they mean the Mac version of that app. It hasn’t been updated since 2016, and doesn’t seem to allow Mac users to login:

The My Cloud Desktop program has been End of Life (EoL) for a while now. After a recent WD firmware update (appears to be v2.x firmware My Cloud users) some users (both Windows and Mac) can no longer use that application to access their My Cloud remotely. Unfortunately one is now being forced to use MyCloud.com web portal for remote file access using Windows or Mac operating systems (or using insecure FTP) on their computer.

Edit to Add: Just noticed that the My Cloud Dashboard no longer properly accesses my first gen v4.x My Cloud running the latest firmware. It no longer lists users to select from when setting it up either on a local network connection or remotely. Guess WD finally killed off access with this program on the first gen with the latest v4.x firmware.

But then what can we use instead of it?they just kill it but what can we use now then, i have it install on windows and was working very good but now i cant get access anymore, i tried WD discovery but i dont think is the replacement Helpppp

WD didn’t “just kill it” recently. WD finally killed the Desktop program over a year ago with a firmware upgrade to the single bay My Cloud line. The Desktop software hasn’t been updated since 2016.

As previously indicated WD wants people to use the MyCloud.com web portal or the My Cloud mobile apps for iOS or Android for remote access.

For local network access to a My Cloud the WD My Cloud Desktop program was never needed. For local network access one uses Windows File Explorer, Mac Finder or a file manager app for iOS or Android.

The multi bay My Cloud models may have additional methods of remote access. The single bay My Cloud model does offer the insecure FTP method of remote access. There are possible options for secure remote access to the My Cloud using firmware hacks (SFTP or SSH).

But perhaps the better method would be to setup a VPN server on the same network as the My Cloud. This however generally requires additional knowledge and skill to configure properly. Some consumer routers (Asus and others) typically offer the VPN server built in to their router firmware. By using VPN you would be able to access the My Cloud just like you were on your local network. Otherwise one is limited to the few options for remote access that the My Cloud is limited to.