My Passport Ultra "Stops Working" in the middle of use Windows 8.1

I have a My Passport Ultra. I’ve used it for years on both windows 7 & 8 computers. I believe when updated to 8.1 that started having issues, only with the 8.1 computer. I can be in the middle of using it, or idle, and it suddenly says’ “unknown usb device has stopped working”. The light is still on the external, and it is still spinning, but it not longer shows up in my computer or in devices to eject. It is a 3.0, and I have tried both 3.0 ports, 2.0 ports, 3.0 hub. Also tried uninstalling drivers. Any other ideas? I don’t think it’s the drive b/c it still works perfectly on my other windows 7 computer. It is also not the “power saving” issue b/c it’s a desktop and it happens when I’m in the middle of using it. This has been driving me crazy for months. Thanks!

Hi there and welcome to the WD community.

Have you tried checking if the USB controllers drives can be reinstalled or updated. Also check what happens with a USB 2.0 cable on the drive.

Hope this helps you out.

1 Like

Thanks, I did try updating the drivers.  I think I did it properly…I just uninstalled them and I guess they just installed again on their own the next time I connected the drive.  It didn’t say it was installing anything or give any type of notification, but that’s just bc it does it automatically, correct?  I’m not missing something special I need to do to make sure new ones are getting installed?  So even though it’s 3.0 drive I should try a 2.0 cable?   I have already tried multiple 3.0 cables.  Thanks!