My Passport Ultra Not recognized from USB 3.0

Hi,

I am using My Passport Ultra (P/N: WDBMWV0020BBK-05) 2TB.
I have been using this from 2015 October. It seems like I have been using it to USB 2.0 for whole time.
Now, I have a new computer (MSI GS63VR) but it doesn’t now recognized from USB 3.0 but it is recognized from USB 2.0.
I tried reinstalling it from device manager and reboot it and plugged into USB 3.0; it is still not recognized…
I also tried using from different computer as well, but no luck.
One of my friends is using My passport ultra and we tried using his to USB 3.0 on my computer and his is working.
ALSO… I tried downloading WD utility software to test if mine is malfunctioning. and everything passed.
What is wrong with this???
Please help me to use USB 3.0 if anybody have same issue as mine.
Thank you in advance.

Hello,

I recommend the following:

Connecting the USB drive to a different USB 3.0 Port

Update the drive firmware, if available
https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=262&lang=en

I am having the same issue. Mine is the WD My Passport Ultra 2tb, with usb 3.0 (confirmed). Here’s what I’ve tried:

1. Confirmed that BOTH USB ports I use are 3.0.

• Same issue, regardless.
  2. Uninstall HDD from computer, shut down computer, reboot computer, reinstall hard drive.

• Still no fix

It wasn’t allowing me to access memory at first, so I formatted and restored it to the original drive partition format, then I downloaded the Western Digital Data LifeGuard and have ran both an extensive test, and am currently undergoing a full erase. The extensive diagnostic showed no errors with the hard drive.

Any other suggestions??

Hi Tried to update driver on WD Passport Ultra 2TB still not recognizing the drive on USB3.
Drive not found under control panel, cable SEVERAL CABLES tested. Conclusion
is that the WD Passport Ultra 2TB cannot run on several USB3!

Go to My computer → Right click on This PC → Manage → Click on your WD passport partition → Change drive letter and paths (you can change whatever letter you want) and It will show up in your My computer.

1 Like

Hi

I have one external hard drive that is WD My Passport (S/N=WX61EB2Y2894)
after I updated all my PCs , Laptops and workstations to newer windows 10 version 1902 &1903, I couldn’t managed anything with my external HDDs event though this device was connected with USB 3.0 to computers as well as I can find out it in Control Panel-Devices & Printers as new connected device but after one minutes the icons got warning that means “the mass storage device have problem” also you can see this warning on the target USB port on Control Panel-Devices . despite of hearing connect and disconnect beep device is not get drive letter to show up in my computer window . the HDDs LED is static without any wick to develop correct installation , so it explain OS communication is weak and not correctly with this device.

I checked even computer disk management but no sign of any external devices there. of course I tried many options like updating bios, hardware driver update , USB port changing ,checked registry value of ports, download Western Digital My passport drivers, repair system files with specified software which users recommended in forums but none of them respond.

the only method I can run my devices is I used a USB 2 cable convertor to sit between HDD and computer USB ports or use windows 10 1803 or 1809

on that time I understood if I connect directly HDDs to usb2 port or using usb2 cable convertor my issue will be solved.but it is only alternative method not a right solution .in view of the fact that my computers doesn’t have usb2 ports expect on of my embedded PCs .
it can be the lack of compatibility of WD devices with USB 3 or Windows 10 file systems

I will be glad if give me a good solution or notify me that,it is an universal problem of the newest update of windows 10 or only WD problems .

I have an identical problem.

The wd My Passport X 2TB is not detected through 3.0 ports, but is detected through 2.0 port. The firmware updatign utility does not seem to detect the drive either way. So what can be done? Also why would WD no longer offer support for “legacy” products? When I asked sony about a product from 1999 they still could provide me with full support.

Hi,

Was there ever a solve for this? Have a MyPassport that worked fine with USB3.0 ports and on Windows 10 until last month. Have tried all the typical suggestions, right down to updating chipset firmware which solved it for one round of being plugged in then back to only being able to be used through USB 2.0 ports.

In short, can now only use my MyPassport HDD through USB 2.0 ports not USB 3.0, which is troublesome for machines/laptops which only have USB 3.0

Cheers,
T

I registered just to answer this. for me it was the cable. My WD Passport Ultra 3TB drive worked on some computer, but wont be recognized at all on others. Then I changed the cable from my other WD Elements (USB 3.0 also) drive and voila! It is recognized on the computers where it wasnt. So if you have a similar issue, try to get another wd cable and try it with that!

hi, try my solution :point_up: