My Cloud OS 5 - Remote Dashboard Access *MUST HAVE*

Hi,
I have 3 PR2100’s, 2 of which are in remote locations (other states), so I’ve always relied on the ability to access via the Remote Dashboard Access. In OS 5 the option to enable this has been removed, which now means I have no ability to remotely manage these two PR2100’s. I need these options to be able to remotely install updates for Plex Media Server and any other tasks which requires the Admin dashboard.

Can you please return the ability to enable Remote Dashboard Access, as this change currently makes 2 of the 3 PR2100’s I have extremely difficult to manage.

6 Likes

Strange as no one till now notice your topic !!!

1 Like

@WD_Admin
Please update on this topic

1 Like

@WD_Admin
When this topic will be solved ?

1 Like

@MTHammoud The Remote Dashboard Option has been removed in My Cloud OS 5.

My Cloud OS 5 Firmware Release Notes

Why? Doesn’t make any sense

1 Like

Oh no! PLEASE PLEASE tell me this is in the works to come back. Why on earth would this be disabled?!

@SBrown issue here is that many of your customers use these devices in remote locations where they need to be able to login remotely to make changes.
I purchased WD NAS’s on the basis this was possible, now you’ve removed this capability, rendering these unable to be managed in remote locations.

It’s a cop out to just say “this has been removed”, you’ve removed Docker, but after user feedback that this is required you’ve announced you’ll be bringing this back.
Users have also advised Sonos functionality no longer works, so you’ve brought back NTLMv1 support.

This thread shows Remote Management is required by users, so should be offered with a way forward for users who have these products in remote locations, giving them the ability to remotely manage.

My biggest use case, is logging in and updating to the latest Plex update by uploading the latest .bin from Plex. As Plex release updates every month or so.

If you can provide instructions on how I can install Plex updates via SSH, this would at least provide me a way to keep Plex up to date on these remote NAS’s.

1 Like

With no backwards compatibility to go back to OS3 you have crippled many users, this needs to be added quickly. This is something that deserves more notification then a small line in the release notes.

3 Likes

Please say there is an update getting worked on that will bring this back

My Cloud

The latest firmware gives you access to the UI from different subnet. . . . Does that help?
I believe it helps me (have not tested yet); as my access to my network using VPN logically falls into the subnet trap.

1 Like

Hi
Anyone found a way to access the Dashboard remotely?

+1 This is a really useful feature with multiple practical use cases. I had bought PR4100 on the combination of hardware and software capabilities. It almost feels like fraud for WD to suddenly remove a portion of these features and I can’t even return the device now since return period is over. By OS 7, I’m sure my PR4100 will be close to MyCloud Home with a bunch of KB’s stating both problem and solution as - Feature XX has been removed. Time to absorb the sunk cost and jump ship to Synology/QNAP before WD’s firmware issues of constant HDD spin-ups/downs fry my comparatively costlier hard disks as well.

1 Like

Completely agree. The only reason I purchased WD was the features suited my use case, now they are just removing x number of features, the exact features for buying their product in the first place.

If WD’s aim was to ■■■■ off majority of their customers and essentially start promoting Synology products, then mission accomplished.

I’m stuck with 3 WD products (which I would’ve continued to stay with WD and continue to upgrade overtime), 2 are in remote locations and are now impossible to manage and all 3 just burning through RAM and CPU, even with indexing off.

Unless the issues with OS5 are resolved, I’m definitely converting to Synology.

Maybe we should reach out to Synology and see if they’ll offer a discount code for all the WD customers converting over?

4 Likes

+1 for this, we need this feature back, also I connect remotely

It is truly unbelievable that such an essential feature would be removed. I can understand that they might be motivated by security concerns, but the solution can’t just be to wack the feature out!

I move frequently between two countries, and with OS5 I have simply lost control of my device half of the time. It is unacceptable.

1 Like

Dear WD User’s
Anyone found an alternate solution for remote dashboard ?!?

Nope, but I’m eyeing off a Synology NAS as my next upgrade for the 3 WD NAS’s I currently have. Not staying with WD when they are just screwing over their loyal customers. Incredibly disappointed, especially since their support team are just pretending this thread doesn’t exist and it isn’t an issue to address.

1 Like

I think am moving too as you own cloud but no control on your device , really very disappointed.

If you need remote access to your devices I would recommend using a vpn as a workaround. They are more likely secure than using the remote dashboard anyway. With vpn access it would be like accessing the device directly. Failing that, then moving to Synology or QNAP would be another option.