My Cloud OS 5 - Remote Dashboard Access *MUST HAVE*

Can you explain how to access it using VPN ?

Not simply, there are many steps required to set up a vpn; you would need some knowledge of networks to implement. As an example Ubiquiti provide a device that allows such a connection https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-routing-switching/products/unifi-security-gateway. I haven’t used these myself and had previously set up a raspberry pi to run open vpn which allowed me to connect to my network from my phone anywhere in the world. I haven’t used this setup in a long time though. There may be others in the community that have / could put together something for this purpose.

What they could have done was build open vpn into the product and allow people to connect via that instead of the remote dashboard, I believe QNAP allows open vpn connections.

https://community.wd.com/t/my-cloud-os-5-remote-dashboard-access-must-have/257555/23?u=will87

Getting VPN running on your systems has a few steps;

1. Need the WAN IP address of your network. You can find it easily on your system; but your ISP might change it on you at regular intervals. You need a DDNS lookup server that can point to “xx.xxx.yy.yy” when you put type “MySystem” as an internet address. I use a free service provided by ASUS for this function.

2. You need VPN software
    There is a client that runs on your device.
    There is a server that runs on your device on the network.
    In my case, I run "OpenVPN’; which is free

• and is supported (and in fact comes installed) on a number of cheap routers.
  3. You will want your NAS on a fixed IP address. I assign the IP address from the router. You don’t want to do it from the NAS (because if the router gets messed up. . you might have trouble accessing the NAS)

In the case of OpenVPN which runs on my router; when I dial into it remotely; the router assigns my remote PC an IP address on my network . . .in a different subnet than the rest of the devices. For some reason I can’t access my NAS by typing “MyNas” in an address bar, but I can reach it with “192.xx.xx.xxx”. NOTE: In earlier versions of OS/5; one was blocked from accessing the NAS WebUI dashboard from a different subnet; but that restriction was removed in the last two releases (THANK YOU WD)

Some have suggested that the NAS should run OpenVPN server. I am not sure that is the best idea. Frankly, I think the router is the best place to run this software. Do you trust your router provider or your NAS provider to keep firmware upto date in terms of security?

Also; I may or may not have the NAS running (there are three NAS units on my network - - -I don’t run them 24/7) I must, however, have the Router running if anything else is running on the system. Also; by accessing the VPN via the router; I have access to the ENTIRE network; not just the NAS (may or may not be a good thing)

@SBrown, I failed to follow my rule of testing before upgrading the FW. I am on board with the other users that removing the remote management was not a good decision and for your comment with no other than the RNs is unacceptable and causing an end user to unnecessarily find a way to remedy an easy patch by WD. I would like to have a ticket opened to T3 for further discussion. Please respond on this thread the ticket number.

This blows the OS 5 upgrade for me too. When I noticed the warning in the notes I was gobsmacked and could not believe I had read it right. I checked with WD support and they eventually confirmed that the upgrade has been designed this way and will effectively disable my devices. It seems that it was easier for them to implement HTTPS this way so that is what they did, even though it renders their devices useless.

WD management were stupid enough to let the programmers do this, even though it will cost WD a chunk of its customer base. Perhaps there is a business case justifying it, but I suspect that WD management are just as lazy as the programmer inmates they are allowing to run their asylum. WD are clearly not to be trusted.

Thank you to those in the community who have suggested alternative suppliers for those of us who will not touch WD again.

2 Likes

Dear WD Community,

Thank your for the feedback regarding My Cloud OS 5.
Please refer to the following link for updates regarding My Cloud OS 5 feedback.

@SBrown - Sadly my PR2100 is now bricked, for whatever reason it now won’t boot. I can SSH into the NAS, however file sharing, apps (eg Plex) etc all don’t work. Accessing the web dashboard I just get a connection refused error.

@dswv42 I had a look at your post awhile back and trust me it’s very tempting. Sadly I have already upgraded 3 PR2100’s all in remote locations to OS5, so as much as I’d like to downgrade them all back to OS3, so I have everything working correctly again, I am currently leaving them as they are as I don’t want to risk something going wrong and then can’t remotely recover them. If WD don’t fix all the issues with OS5, I’ll more than likely roll them back to OS3 next time I’m at each location.

@SBrown - I found out why my NAS bricked today. It updated itself last night to firmware 5.08.115, when it rebooted today, it would not startup. I found the issue to be that if a USB is connected to the NAS (which I have connected all the time to copy critical data each night) the NAS won’t boot. Unplugging the USB, then booting the NAS, then reconnecting the USB seems to work. So not sure what’s going on with 5.08.115, but if a USB is connected, the NAS won’t boot. This hasn’t been an issue in previous firmware.

@dswv42 no I got it, I was able to identify the cause and address the issue and advised that removing an external USB, then booting worked. Since I was able to boot I then reinstalled the firmware version to repair any issues.
I was also making the broader point that I’m not in a position to downgrade to OS3, which would obviously solve all the issues I’ve had since upgrading to OS5.

I am so happy I saw this post and did not do the upgrade. Just got 2 new ex2 ultra for nas devices for my private network. Both are going back within the next 14 days unless they fix this. I bought a my home thinking it was going to be like the my cloud. I hated the my home software when I tested and returned it. If I would known they were going to do the same thing to the ex2 I would of never bought them. If i would of upgraded to OS5 I would of been in the same boat. I bought it because I want to manage it my self just like with the previous devices and not go through a website to access. What if the internet goes down. Just sit here twitting my thumbs. No. I bought this for a nas because 1) I love my old mycloud and 2) the price. I could of spent 20 bucks more and got a synology DiskStation DS220j and 2 4tb drives. I was loyal to wd but unless they fix this I will never by another wd product.

2 Likes

If a USB devices cause reboot failure. . . that’s a HUGE bug.
Can anyone else confirm? (I am not in a position to test for another day or two)

This is not quite true. If you do not signup with WD or you “turnoff” cloud access; the device is still quite functional (except for the WD internet apps).

If you block the device using a router firewall; you lose more functionality; but as an internal network storage device. . . it still works.

Your broader points. . . . . .competitor offers are close in price. . .and this software “appears” to be heading in the direction of the MyHome line . . . . I think are valid. As a new purchase. . . given that OS/5 is the future and OS/3 will quickly become less viable. . . .I would be inclined to look elsewhere.

NOTE: Nobody is fixing anything in the next 14 days. :wink:

I can’t comment further on the Home line; because I never ran one of those units. . . .but nobody in the MyHome forum claims that these are properly functional NAS. . . .so there’s that.

Now I have more questions. Everyone is saying something different about the new os. I wish someone would do a full video review and show the in and out of the program.

heh.

Yeah. . . .that would be nice. Sorry can’t help you there. I just post as a distraction from more unpleasant tasks at my desk.

Much of the issue for OS/5 relates to marketing vs engineering.

I don’t think anyone would dispute that OS/3 is obsolete. Just like WinXP was a decent O/S. . .in 2021 it just isn’t viable for most people anymore.

The problem with OS/5 in my mind is that the only real “sell” for the software are the web and phone apps. The under-the-hood improvements don’t “sell” very well. . but are necessary.

The reality, however, is that the much-touted apps are quite limited in their usability and are simply not well developed. I mean. . even simple copy/move functionality for files is not executed properly. Sorting by date was also problematic last I looked (photos sorted by date of file copy; not date image was taken).

It’s also quite geared for “simple” users and not “power users”. It was quite clear that the software works “ok” for people with a few hundred photos. . . .but for users who have a few 10’s of thousands. . .no. Just no.

Most critically; the first real introduction for most users is the “indexing step”.
A process which lobotmizes the unit for days or even weeks for even light users. . . .yields only modest benefit for the user when using the WD apps.
Many people on this board never really make it past that step (for good reason), and it has been staunchly defended by WD (when it clearly needs a bottom up re-write)

@dlk51 I’ll start by saying the following is my own personal opinion and based entirely on my experience of running multiple WD NAS’s and having been a customer for 5 years.

So I had just written a rather large reply, however after reading it, it was all a bit too negative, so I’ll just offer a short version, without too much frustration venting.

Short version; If you’re in a position to return for a refund, lucky you. I know if I were in your shoes, I’d be getting my money back and be purchasing Synology in a heartbeat.

I could go over the multiple issues OS5 has caused and the key functions I purchased their products for, which they have now essentially removed, but you could probably just see my profile and the threads I’ve either created or commented on. Needless to say, painful.

Dear WD Tea, I am very disappointing…as my backup exec software has got totally stoped after this firmware updation on dec 20 2020. I am unable to access the shares. LOG says - CISF - authentication for users nobody failed…some samba error…what to do? suport urgently pls. Regards

On my DL4100 what has the latest OS3, same issue. If USB drive is connected the NAS will not boot, so it seems this is a bug carried over to OS5?

It’s sort of possible. If you get Entware and install that then you can install SoftEtherVPN and you then have a fully manageable VPN server. You will just need to configure SecureNAT to be able to access the resources and dashboard on the same unit. I believe that’s a Linux limitation.

Anyone know how to do the following (commands) via SSH on WD NAS:

Stop/Start Plex Media Server

Update Plex Media Server via SSH using the .bin which has been added to a directory on the NAS or fetched via direct URL, which then triggers it to be installed.

With the Admin Dashboard been unavailable to me for so long now, my Plex Media Servers are quite a few months behind on updates which I’d like to be able to install somehow remotely.

@SBrown

At least it seems like your Plex has managed to stay running. Since OS5, Plex app process gets killed after 36 hours or so. If I’m out of the house, I’m SOL in restarting it as it requires logging into the dashboard and ticking the box off then on!!! WD has decided to stop responding to my requests for help.