My cloud is junk

Today my att router has been changed. for whatever reason the WD My cloud personal storage will not turn the blue light on. White and constant blinking, rebooted router, my cloud device, tried a different cable. Please call ASAP. This thing is junk!!!

Your router changed things and you say your My Cloud is junk? I don’t get it.

Your MC was matched to your previous router, and now you need to re-match them. Quit renting routers and buy your own so you don’t have these sort of problems.

Maybe a My Cloud guru here can help you reconfigure things.

White led - Something wrong. FW (OS) not loaded correectly. Sometime this happens if unplug power (While device do something / access files).

Seems like need “Unbrick” your device. Look at forums or my posts about it.

Ps: Device is cool, but firmware like a s**t. (And i make my own. Now its work 24/7 w/o any issues)

Wait so let me get this right, you blame the My Cloud for a problem caused by AT&T and their equipment?

It is a WELL KNOWN issue in this subforum that AT&T Uverse routers have problems with the My Cloud. The solution, until AT&T decides to fix their routers, is to use a switch or second router in between the My Cloud and the AT&T router.

If one had done a forum search they’d find several other threads of AT&T users having trouble because of the AT&T supplied router. Here are just three:

https://community.wd.com/t/cant-connect-my-cloud-using-att-uverse-1gig-fiber-service/140412

https://community.wd.com/t/changed-internet-providers-now-wd-my-cloud-does-not-connect/168186

https://community.wd.com/t/cant-connect-to-u-verse-help/150157

Please call AT&T and tell them their router is not fit for purpose. Or ‘junk’, as you put it.

We can’t call you, BTW; we’re not WD or AT&T, and we don’t have your contact details…

Ok…forgive me

I’ll take any help that I can find. I got frustrated when product support was not available . Sorry

The help has been given above. Connect the My Cloud to an Ethernet switch, Ethernet hub, or a second router, then connect that switch/hub/router to the AT&T router. Or contact AT&T and demand they provide you a different brand router.

If using a second router one will have to disable that second router’s DHCP server via the second router’s administration screen and connect the first router to the second router’s networking port (typically there are four of them on the second router, well three because one would connect the My Cloud to one of the four ports), not the second router’s Internet/WAN port.

Thanks… I am calm now… ATT has been notified and are headed this way. Much thanks to all!!!

Here is another suggestion: You are the only one who can change the title of this thread, by editing it using the pen icon. So do it ; to something like “ATT routers are junk!” :smiling_imp:

I knew the MC gurus would come to your rescue. So glad I do not have ATT internet service; I have Comcast along with my OWN router and modem.

I had AT&T (formerly SBC) for many years (over 10). First their DSL internet service, then Uverse internet. Worked well. Then Frontier took them over in my market over a year ago. The AT&T 2Wire 3600 gateway/router I had for years under AT&T worked fine with the My Cloud then after complaining to Frontier, they replaced the AT&T 2Wire 3600 gateway/router which was showing its age (no Wireless N, 10/100 wired ports and was becoming flaky under Frontier) with a Arris NVG589 router (which has an AT&T logo :laughing:) which also works fine with the My Cloud.

I only rented the modem from Comcast when I first began cable internet service over 12 years ago. At the time my employer supplied the B router. I quickly bought my own modem and router when I discovered I could, and should. I got a G Linksys router and matching modem.

Around 6 or so years ago I upgraded system to an Asus gigabit router and DOCCIS 3 Motorola (aka Arris) cable modem and upgraded my wireless service to Comcast’s “Blast” service which is now 100+ megabits/sec. Since my house is fully wired for Ethernet CAT5e into four rooms, I got gigabit switches, too, for each room… Entire home is either wired or using 5G wireless. Works perfectly.

Best thing one can do is to buy their own router and modem. I do not have the internet phone service plan – I do not trust it, so continue with the land line. Very handy when our power was out for 3 days last year. Yes, it costs us more than internet phone, but I feel it is well worth it.

Thanks!!! Sorry I freaked out… I know enough to be dangerous with this stuff

Absolutely the best thing one can do. Unfortunately some ISP/broadband providers require their customers to use their equipment and further they cripple the router/gateway they provide the customer so it cannot be put into “bridge mode”. That’s the problem I have with Frontier and the Arris NVG589, it cannot be put into true “bridge mode”. I still run a second router behind the Arris but many of its security features (firewall, etc.) are not used. Many years ago my ISP/broadband provider before being bought out by SBC (who later bought out AT&T) just gave the customer a modem and the customer used their own router.

Around 7 years ago Verizon convinced the county they (besides Comcast) should be in our neighborhood, too. Problem was, Comcast was wired in ground before homes were built here in 2002, and cable lines were stubbed at each home. Verizon had to come in afterward with heavy equipment, (like ditch-witches, etc. into the yards and dig up things, break sidewalks, etc.) What a frikkin mess they made. I swore then I would NEVER use their cable service! A couple of years later, Verizon got out of cable TV and landlines and sold the whole shootin’ match to Frontier! We still have Frontier for land line. (BTW, Frontier was a very small outfit in the US mid west – a no-name company at the time.

I can’t believe Frontier won’t let people use their own equipment, although if someone also has phone service along with TV and internet, they have to use the ISP company equipment in many cases. Although. Comcast told me “not necessarily” I could use my own router/modem and rent some phone adapter add on. Heck, I would just use Ooma if I wanted internet phone…

Not sure why they said you needed a phone adapter. Some cable modems has both a internet jack and a phone jack. All you have to do is move the phone line coming in from the phone company and connect it to the phone jack. Now all of you home phones work. The modem was
less than $150. I’ve had it for about 7 years now. Don’t use the phone part any more. Since I switched to majicjack.

RAC

Thanks!

RAC, was your comment to me? What modem do you have? I have a Motorola DOCCIS3 modem, but I don’t recall if it has a phone connection. Have to check. I will look into magicjack…

Yes. My modem is an Arris tm722. The magicjack is about $50 or less for the hardware. You get 12 months of free service. Then $35 per year or $99 for 5 years. One minor problem is that caller id name is not working. Also you need internet access for the phone to work.

RAC

Thanks RAC.