My Cloud Home is extremely slow when bowsing in Windows

Hi all,

I have had the My Cloud Home for 3 years. Connected to a Gigabit router as well as my PC. The main content is photos and videos. Me and my wife both use the app on our phones and automatically upload pictures from our phones. This is a great function.

In the beginning I could browse files on my PC with good speeds. I could even open photos in Photoshop etc to edit them. Copying, browsing, looking at pictures etc worked almost as if the files were on the PC.

Now it is useless to try browsing from the PC. It is extremely slow. Browsing from an internet browser workes with good speeds. Browsing on the app in the phone also works good.

I have tried with different PC’s and the issue is the same.

I have searched the topic and read lots of others with the same problem, but no one seems to have found a solution.

Anyone that can help?

Try rebooting the MCH once in a while. It will be faster. Long term you should backup to USB and do some house cleaning of the MCH such as factory reset and then restore minimally, with only needed files. Don’t expect the shingled SMR drive to last much longer than the 2 yr warranty when you filled it up to capacity. Most home users will not bother with backups until they lose it all and then they spend 10 times the money and 100 times the hours to recover compared to the time to backup to USB.

Thanks for your reply.

I use another online service for continuous backup through my home computer. This has worked fine until now. Now it is so slow that the online service wont run on the MCH unit. The service works for the files stored directly on the PC.

I have been in contact with WD that blaims my network setup and speed… This cant be the issue due to that it works fine when browsing on internet browser both for upload and download.

I ran a speed test with good results:

Have also done reboots once in a while, but not the factory reset.

It is good to run a CrystalDM, but the picture shown doesn’t appear to be the result from the My Cloud Home ‘User Private Space’ usually mapped to Z: or Y: under Windows - you can test that with the option ‘Select Folder’ from CDM (nevermind, I see Velg Mappe means the same, but you should test the Private Space and not the SMB LAN drive). What happens when you run a CDM with a 100 MB or 500 MB test file on the MCH Private Space? that can tell you how fast your MCH is really performing under Windows when it is accessing the space that is being used to sync with your phones.

(edited: added CDM version info)
In order to run CDM on virtual file system such as MCH Private space, you will need to use version 5.2.1 or 5.2.2. Otherwise you can’t see the mounted drive or it may not run properly. The version you are using, v 8.0.4 will not likely see the MCH drive Z: or Y: etc. You can download the older version from here: Release CrystalDiskMark 5.2.2 - CrystalDiskMark - OSDN

You can also fairly easily read the debug_logs.zip file and find out what kind of HDD and what SMARTCTL errors are present on the hard disk that will tell you how much longer your HDD is likely to perform.