Transfer speed drastically drops after a few of hours

Hello,

I have purchased a My Cloud Home (8TB 1-Bay) to create backups from various computers in my network. I first tried it with Ashampoo Backup Pro 14, and as this failed, I just copied the files vie Windows, just as a test. Unfortunately, none of this works. It seems like the speed in which files can get copied to the device decreases after a while.

When copying the files, I started with something about 5-10 MB/s (which isn’t fast, but I could live with it). After a while the transfer rate drops significant, and after a couple of hours it is only about 500KB/s. With this speed it’s almost impossible to make a backup of 2-3 TB, this would take ages.

Also, at this point the My Cloud Home doesn’t seem to be responsive, displaying It in the Network View in Windows fails.

I found this post which is supposed to address slow data transfer speeds, but in my opinion none of what is described here seems to explain why the transfer speed reproducible declines after a couple of hours:
Common Causes and Solutions for Slow Network Data Transfer Speeds

Does anyone have any ideas what I could try?

I already wrote to the wd support more than a week ago, but got no answer yet.

What WDC doesn’t tell you about the MCH is that all file operations (add, delete*, update) to the private user space (shareable online) is authenticated by the WDC servers and that the authentication is server throttled to 1.6 file ops per second. That means if you want to add 1 million files, it will take at least 555.5 hours to complete regardless of your internet speed and local LAN speed.

It is not unusual for MCH owners to try to add a ton of files to the private user space before finding out how long it will take. The solution has been discussed a few times on this subforum, but it is studied here:
*One exception applied to deletion via web app

Your choices are fairly simple:

1. Use the public share SMB to do your backup. It is not online shareable at least not by MCH.
  2. When you use the private user space, avoid storing and sharing small individual files. Instead, divide that one million files into 100 to 500 smaller containers of zip files. The zip files can be deleted quickly to free up space and can be shared readily. The zip files in the range of 300 MB and up can be copied to the private user space at around 80 MBps. The study reference above shows you how to do that quickly, all from the Windows desktop.
1 Like

Thank you for your answer tekram!

Using the public share would be absolutely fine for me. In fact, I already tried the backup using Ashampoo and via the local area network share (network path \mycloud-xxxxxx\Public).
Speed isn’t much better that way, and (even a bigger problem) connection to it seems to get interrupted after a while.

The net resource [\MYCLOUD-xxxxxx](file://MYCLOUD-xxxxxx) is not available anymore then and (of course) Ashampoo just stops. In every one of my tests this happened after a couple of hours.

(What’s strange, I still can get access to the network drive/Private space). Restarting the myCloud over the web interface seems to help, but of course this isn’t very practical during an overnight backup.

Do you or anyone else have an idea what I still could try?

Wd Support answered me in the meantime (after almost 2 weeks) recommending using the windows file history. I doubt that would solve the problem of the interrupted connection (I will certainly try it), but honestly using the file history is not really an option, there’s no overview over what it’s doing and how much is left to backup.

You must have persistent internet and network access (active router and switches and avoid unstable WiFi connections) in order for the MCH to work over many hours. If your internet cut out, you won’t get disconnected immediately from the MCH, but it will come in a quarter to half hour.

In addition, unstable SMB share connection suggests that you may have other network problems, such as SMB1 and lmCompatibilityLevel support. Please see this fix posted earlier and try to set both of them and restart or reboot.

It is also possible that the WDC authentication servers are unreachable for some reason and you can check the status with:
https://status.mycloud.com/os4

Cheers.

1 Like

Thank you again for your help tekram!
Indeed, I sometimes have internet connection errors once in a while. Maybe that’s the problem. Honestly, I didn’t expect that this a problem for the MCH, since LAN connection doesn’t seem to be affected .
I’m travelling for a couple of days now, I’ll definitely get behind this when I’m back.
Cheers