Windows 11 (and 10) missing My Cloud Home Pubic share after restart, a fix

Short version: My Cloud Home network share and perhaps other non-Windows shares are missing after restart and only Windows shares are visible. This is after you have already enabled SMB1 client under Windows OptionalFeatures.
Cause: This may be due to NTLM security compatibility version resetting itself and it happens more frequently after Windows 10 build 1909 and Windows 11 build 22000. If you run command shell:

reg query HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa /v lmcompatibilitylevel

Under Windows 8 and 7, you will get a return of :
lmcompatibilitylevel REG_DWORD 0x0

but with Windows 10 and Windows 11, you will get 0xa

Fix: (simple) realizing that MCH users are not going read much, here is the reg file, copy the 5 lines below including blanks and paste into notepad and then save as lmcomp03.reg or any name. Double click the reg file and it will integrate into the registry. Press Win-X and Sign-Out. Sign back in and the missing My Cloud Home Public share should be back.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa]
"lmcompatibilitylevel"=dword:00000003

Fix (proper):
(Run gpedit.msc *) Set Local Computer Policy->Windows Settings->Security Settings->Local Policies->Security Options-> Network security Lan Manager authetication level. to “NTLMv2 response only”

Then reboot system gpupdate (Group Policy refresh) until the shares map again.

Then delete the registry key entry (DWORD) LmCompatibilityLevel under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Lsa
This will set the policy back to undefined.

Then reboot system and run gpupdate till you receive a successful gpupdate, My Cloud Home drive mapping should continue to work.

• The process of enabling the gpedit.msc is straightforward like enabling gpedit.msc on Windows 10 Home. To enable the Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) on Windows 11 Home, you will need to run a script. But, Script is long enough to be copied and pasted; therefore, we created a “.bat” file contains all the script lines.
@echo off

REM -- https://smarttechnicalworld.com/gpedit-msc-windows-11-home/

>nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\system32\config\system"

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.

if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (

echo Requesting administrative privileges...

goto UACPrompt

) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt

echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

echo UAC.ShellExecute "%~s0", "", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

exit /B

:gotAdmin

if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )

pushd "%CD%"

CD /D "%~dp0"

pushd "%~dp0"

dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientExtensions-Package~3*.mum >List.txt

dir /b %SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\Microsoft-Windows-GroupPolicy-ClientTools-Package~3*.mum >>List.txt

for /f %%i in ('findstr /i . List.txt 2^>nul') do dism /online /norestart /add-package:"%SystemRoot%\servicing\Packages\%%i"

pause

Other troubleshooting pointers:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/54e42c79-3e27-47e6-b85f-2aba66fff804/no-access-to-network-shares-after-update-1909

Hi @tekram,

Please refer to the below link to check how To Map a WD Network Drive on Windows 10:

Also, you can contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Please help if possible - I’m on Windows 11 and the last couple updates I’ve stopped being able to connect to my shares. Now, they have actively disappeared and I no longer even see them in file explorer, where before I had been getting a “unable to access this network resource” gibberish error. Any suggestions? I already tried what’s in your post and connecting to my PR2100 just results in “this folder is empty”. I’m going insane with this.

You don’t have a My Cloud Home which is the share storage described in this thread. In general, your best chance of connecting to a NAS is when it has just loaded its working smb.conf file. If the NAS smb server has connected before, it has a higher probability of connecting and be mounted right after a reboot with an ip address. For example a Linux smb client could connect to a MCH smb server right after it has just rebooted by this command when it had failed a minute or two earlier:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=nobody //192.168.1.111/Public /mnt/mch          where as

# sudo mount -t cifs -o username=nobody //Mycloud-012345/Public /mnt/mch     may not have connected earlier

Because you are using PR2100, you also have the advantage of being able to change the SMB protocol version of the server there and this post and the one after that could help: