My Cloud drops from network 2/3 minutes after boot since 5.27.157 update

The My Cloud OS5 4TB Gen 2 device I have seems to drop off the network after 2/3 minutes since the most recent October firmware update.

It’s similar symptoms I have had with indexing or Twonky impacting resources, but I have disabled cloud access, uninstalled all apps and still it lasts no more than 2/3 minutes before it runs into problems. There seems to be a CPU spike around the3 minute mark around when this problem occurs, but I can’t figure what is causing it.

Has anyone else had this issue?

@Eire12

What are the LEDs doing, both front and back? Do you have a static IP address for your device? When you think it has dropped from the network have you checked its status on your Router? See example image from mine below.

OS5 User Manual

https://products.wdc.com/nas0s5/nasum/en/#t=MyCloud%2FConfiguringBasicSettings%2FNetwork.htm

WDMYCLOUD User Manual, the older manual.

For the LEDs, it blinks blue on boot and turns to solid blue thereafter. For ethernet, it is active blinking with hard drive activity, but after the ‘freeze’ seems to be inactive and the ethernet light just gives a little pulse every second or so. Though I can still ping the IP from cmd, so it is still ‘active’ in some way.

For the IP it was set to DHCP but I changed it to static to troubleshoot, but made no difference.

Though on my router dashboard, it shows the device well and connected, though it still does not appear in Windows (ping in cmd aside)

The only ‘odd’ clue is that, trying a network feature, like the firmware update options gives a “check network connection” message … but I can only see this message over my working network connection … and certainly the server is working on the WD end, so it is not handling network connections well for some reason

@Eire12

You can do a manual update of the firmware. Here is a link to download the firmware and then you can perform a manual install.

Download Software, Firmware and Drivers for WD Products

I download the update, place the file on my desktop, and then go back to the dashboard to perform the manual update selecting the file on my desktop when it says to. See example image below. Click on, tap, or activate image to enlarge it.

In the background of your image, it appears that the “Device Activity” section of the dashboard is showing 100% CPU utilization. Firmware updates can trigger the indexing process, which can sometimes cause network dropouts.

Device Activity

Also, you may want to check the hard drive for errors. Although it may be difficult to accomplish due to the network dropouts. If possible, enable SSH, then run the following command and post the results.

smartctl -A /dev/sda

How to Access WD My Cloud Using SSH (Secure Shell)

First, I really do appreciate the replies on this.

@cat0w - For the firmware update, I can get as far as here, but then it seems to hang permanently on this ‘upgrading’ screen with no movement on the progress bar.

@Cerberus - So I did just have enough time for the connection to be live to get an output from the SSH … it is as follows.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME FLAG VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE UPDATED WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate 0x002f 193 193 051 Pre-fail Always - 137038
3 Spin_Up_Time 0x0027 203 172 021 Pre-fail Always - 6808
4 Start_Stop_Count 0x0032 083 083 000 Old_age Always - 17900
5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct 0x0033 200 200 140 Pre-fail Always - 0
7 Seek_Error_Rate 0x002e 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
9 Power_On_Hours 0x0032 047 047 000 Old_age Always - 39393
10 Spin_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 0
12 Power_Cycle_Count 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 263
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 207
193 Load_Cycle_Count 0x0032 189 189 000 Old_age Always - 33896
194 Temperature_Celsius 0x0022 130 080 000 Old_age Always - 22
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 0
197 Current_Pending_Sector 0x0032 200 200 000 Old_age Always - 3
198 Offline_Uncorrectable 0x0030 100 253 000 Old_age Offline - 0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count 0x0032 200 199 000 Old_age Always - 56114
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate 0x0008 200 200 000 Old_age Offline - 93

Untitlesasaassad

The output is worse than I thought though still could be worse, and certainly all worked perfectly until the day of the update. I gues si didn’t check before now as the dashboard SMART readout has everything as being fine. (Ignore the slightly low temperature, I put it in a cooler spot, just incase of CPU throttling with it hitting the 100%)

It can’t be indexing though, can it? Cloud services are off. The dashboard made no mention of indexing percentages, just ‘connected’ or ‘disabled’ depending on my setting. It could be wrong though… is there another way to check if indexing is occurring?

It appears that the hard drive is failing, because the S.M.A.R.T. attributes below should all be zero.

• Raw_Read_Error_Rate - 137038
  • Current_Pending_Sector - 3
  • UDMA_CRC_Error_Count - 56114
  • Multi_Zone_Error_Rate - 93

The dashboard hides the RAW_VALUE attribute, which is most important.

The high CPU utilization is unlikely to be caused by indexing, but I’ve seen it happen after a firmware update. However, in your case I suspect it’s due to the hard drive errors listed above. A failing hard drive can cause all sorts of strange things to happen.

Hello, My 40TB EX4100 w/ FW@ 5.26.300 does same. My open incidents, dating from 22 October 2023 with ‘WD Support’ (apparently an oxymoron) remain unresolved with assertion that RAID 5 data is corrupted. However, all drives check healthy and LEDs are solid blue. Despite those facts Support directed a manual FW update to 5.27.157. Any attempt gets bogus msg ‘Unable to contact firmware update server.’ I have ~175 40GB files or ~6TB of video I am trying to move off the device but due to the constant timeout/dropoff I am having little luck getting it copied anywhere. Any insight into how to recover the data or knowledge of how your problem was resolved is appreciated.

@trekrap

Have you already looked in the sub-forum for your device to see if others with the same device have or have had this problem?

Latest My Cloud OS 5 Personal & Network Attached Storage/My Cloud EX Series topics - WD Community

Thx, good suggestion. I did search there and unless I missed something all are pretty old from 2020 and none come close to matching my EX4100’s behavior. Only @Eire12’s post describes what I’m seeing. Especially the consistently predictable ‘device locks-up’ and ‘drops off-line’ death spiral syndrome.

My 4 big problems are:
[1] Can’t successfully complete Manual Firmware Update. These steps were taken: (1) Down load file ‘WDMyCloudEX4100_5.27.157_prod.bin’ from support page using Safari browser to Mac. (2) Select update button. Open file and observe histogram for download reaches 100%. (3) Receive Msg ‘Firmware file not found. Please Try Again’

[2] Can’t Check for Updates; Receive Msg ‘Unable to connect to the firmware update server. Please check the network connection and try again.’

[3] Can’t Enable Auto Update. Receive Msg ‘Unable to connect to the firmware update server. Please check the network connection and try again.’

[4] Can’t Perform 40 second reset
Steps followed:

1. Remove power cord from the device.
  2. Press and hold reset while reconnecting power cord.
  3. While holding reset press and release power-on button

Curious as to how can a file issue can hamper the NAS’ ability to connect with WD FW Update Server?

Forgot to mention current tact is to sign into ssd and run diagnostics… will report findings as soon as I determine why I can’t login even though I carefully enter pwd that I made up?

Enable SSH, then run the following commands, one at a time, and post the results.

• smartctl -A /dev/sda;
  • smartctl -A /dev/sdb;
  • smartctl -A /dev/sdc;
  • smartctl -A /dev/sdd;

How to Access WD My Cloud Using SSH (Secure Shell)

copy all; procedure complete. results uploaded

Summary: sda - sdb - sdc - sdd

• `Raw_Read_Error_Rate - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
  • `Current_Pending_Sector - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
  • `UDMA_CRC_Error_Count - 0 - 0 - 0 - 0
  • `Multi_Zone_Error_Rate - reporting line does not present in output ------

The drives are ok. What are the results of the following?

• cat /proc/mdstat;

Text please, screenshots are a PITA to read.

okay… meanwhile, should 'smartctl -a -d at a /dev/sda, sdb, sdc, sdd be used instead for SATA drives; how can drive-type be confirmed through dashboard or SSH?

No, not at this time. The idea is to get a quick assessment of drive health, and not get bogged down with excessive details.

copy all; makes perfect sense. rebooting now as device death spiral took precedence… again.

pardon screenshot… thought summary would ease and avoid PITA ‘eye chart.’

root@Centarus ~ # cat /proc/mdstat
Personalities : [linear] [raid0] [raid1] [raid10] [raid6] [raid5] [raid4]
md1 : active raid5 sdc2[0] sda2[3] sdb2[2] sdd2[1]
29286720960 blocks super 1.0 level 5, 64k chunk, algorithm 2 [4/4] [UUUU]
bitmap: 0/2 pages [0KB], 524288KB chunk

md0 : active raid1 sda1[3] sdb1[2] sdd1[1] sdc1[0]
2094080 blocks super 1.2 [4/4] [UUUU]
bitmap: 0/1 pages [0KB], 65536KB chunk

unused devices:
root@Centarus ~ #

completed with copy/paste report text as requested
Thank you for your continued assistance to make a sound problem determination

RAID looks ok too, with the caveat that there could still be hidden problems. The EX4100 has a history of problems like this, but they tend to take much longer to occur.

Honestly, this one is a bit of a puzzle, but I suspect that the firmware updates problem is the clue that may solve the mystery.