My Book Duo temperature seems way too hot

I have bought a new 36TB drive and I haven’t used it properly yet and Hard Disk Sentinel is reporting an idle temperature of 58C degrees. I have a standard 3.5 USB external drive and its running at 29C. I can imagine transferring terabytes over to this drive will go up to crazy temperatures. Can anyone confirm what the standard temps should be? Also what temps are likely to cause longevity issues? As this device is new I am wondering if I should send it back to the retailer (amazon) - thanks

1 Like

I’m wondering how HD Sentinel can see each drive separately, unless you have removed them from the enclosure. :-?

Can you show us a screenshot?

from a cold start its reads at 24C but then shoots up hugely. As soon as I run a full sector check it quickly hits 58C and at 60C the fan quietly kicks in which then gets louder at 62C. I have the drives set to JBOD and my HDSentinel only seems to see one of the drives but CrystakDiskInfo also does the same and reports the same temps. Surely this can’t be good. I’ve seen a video on youtube with a guy who takes off the top cover and puts an extra fan on there (a small USB low power one) and that fixes the airflow and drives the temps right down. The youtuber reckons this is a poorly designed system and I think he’s right.

Your drive appears to be a white label version of the Ultrastar DC HC550. These are CMR models.

https://documents.westerndigital.com/content/dam/doc-library/en_us/assets/public/western-digital/product/data-center-drives/ultrastar-dc-hc500-series/product-manual-ultrastar-dc-hc550-sata-oem-spec.pdf

https://www.e4company.com/wp-content/uploads/data-sheet-ultrastar-dc-hc550.pdf

The R/N is US7SAR180, which is also assigned to WUH721818ALE6xx and
WUH721818ALN6xx models.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/bkQAAOSwi0himld4/s-l1600.jpg

Page 31 of the product manual stipulates an operating temperature range of 5 to 60°C.

Ironically, the manual states …

The system is responsible for maintaining a drive sensor temperature below 65C. Drive sensor temperature is as reported using SMART SCT.

What I find strange is figure 4 which shows an altitude specification. Why would a sealed helium drive be limited to a maximum altitude of 3000 metres?

1 Like

thanks fzabkar

I’m really disappointed as I got a really good deal on this and if I return it, buying anything similar with this amount of storage will cost loads more. I take it the sensible thing be to just return it, rather than gamble and keep it with fingers crossed?

Quick update these are white label edgz drives. I noticed on the blurb on the specifications it states the operating temperature is 5 to 35C - I also noticed this is identical to the specfications for their USB external Elements drives. I know those get hotter than 35C.

Another update, I’ve put one of the disks into my PC and it runs at up to 42C and is around 9C higher than my existing internal which runs at around 33C. So I guess these drives at 9C or so higher than “normal” but the Duo housing adds a similar temperature addition as compared to a standard external usb enclosure.

another reason for returning this heap of junk - I’'ve just discovered when I attach them, USB drives dont boot up!