Fan Speed and Drive Temps

Noticed tonight that my drive was noisy. Its only a week old.

Noticed that I had not updated the firmware yet so did so - I work in a slightly different area of tech and know that sometimes this can be a solution to problems. After installation and restart, noise was lower then increased again.

Checked the drive temps in the WD control panel and noted that the drives were running about 48/49c. The ambient temp here is low 20c at the moment. The unit itself has plenty of airflow around it. The fan speed was initially (when checking temp) around 7200 RPM but rose to over 8200 after about 5 mins since my first check.

The unit is only being used for backup (not media server) and was only working on my backup.

I’ve since put it into hibernate mode to allow it to settle and cool. Are these speeds considered acceptable and what are usual internal drive temps?

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Hello,

Here are the standards Temps for this unit.
Operating temperature: 5°C to 35°C (41°F to 95 °F)
Non-operating temperature: -20°C to 65°C (-4°F to 149 °F)

These look like ambient temperature recommendations and are pretty well standard. I am concerned about internal temperatures and what is a noisy fan because of the heat. At the moment …

Ambient temperature is about 23c
Drive 1 is reporting at 44c
Drive 2 is reporting at 46c
Fan speed is currently 8571 RPM and I can clearly hear it over the sound of the fridge.

I’ve had the unit shutdown for the past couple of days. Its been powered up for around 90mins.

At present its only performing backups for two computers - no media servers.

OK fan just 10,000 RPM. Time to hibernate again until I can sort out what is going on.