WD Thunderbolt Duo Running Hot

Hi, I bought a WD Thunderbolt Duo 6 TB a couple of weeks ago and have noticed that it runs hot.  With no strain on the drives it sits at about 127 degrees F.  I got that temp from the sensors and from using a temperature gun pointed directly in the enclosure and they both agreed within a couple of degrees.

I looked up the operating temp of the device and it says the upper end is 35 degrees C (95 degrees F).  I found that kind of odd because when I look up the individual drives that are in the enclosure they have an upper operating temperature of 60 C (140 F).  I ended up setting a 120mm fan on top of the enclosure to assist pulling heat from the enclosure and it dropped by 40 degrees down to 84 F within 5-10 minutes.  

Having read how quiet and cool these are supposed to run my question is does anybody else see these higher temps and is the TB Duo stat of 35 degrees C correct?  I don’t know if I should just let it run or contact WD to see about a replacement.

Thanks!

Dbot

Hi Dbot73, welcome to the WD Community. Have you seen any over-temperature indication? The front LED will turn Amber when the temperature is high. You can try testing the drive using the Drive Utilities software, make sure that you have it in a well ventilated space for best results.

Check page 10 of the manual for more information. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705071.pdf#page=14

WD Drive Utilities

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=127&sid=157&lang=en

1 Like

thanks, Jubei04, I didn’t know about the amber over-heating indicator.  That never showed up on the device, so hopefully that means it was in normal operating temps.  A bit concerned still about how high in to the acceptable operating temperature range the drives got when sitting idle but they are sitting very cool at 84F with the fan on top so I may stick with that to be on the safe side.  I have a 2 TB WD firewire 800 drive sitting next to the TB Duo and it runs in the 80s without the fan (based on a temp gun, didn’t have sensor info for that drive.)  

-D