My Book - Can't see it in Windows Explorer

New out of the box, I have plugged in My Book. It’s plugged directly into a USB socket on my PC and the AC adapter is plugged into a good power source (multi-socket surge protector) that is able to run the rest of my hardware. I don’t have a wall socket available to plug it into directly.

My Book didn’t show up in Windows Explorer as a drive. After contacting WD customer services, on their advice, I have downloaded the Discovery software. This software nicely picks up other external storage devices. However, it does not show My Book.

I’m stuck and the next step looks like returning My Book to WD. Before I do this, is there anything that I can try? I have made an assumtion that the USB cable provided new, is good.

Hi @Smudgedata,

The My Book drive is a plug-and-play external storage device and will show up on the File Explorer as an external drive when you plug the device into the USB port of the computer.

Please refer to the following article for troubleshooting steps as the drive is not getting detected:

Please refer to the following article for troubleshooting steps as the drive is not getting detected:

Link: Cannot Find My WD Drive on Windows or macOS

The drive will show up under the computer’s file explorer as a removable storage drive and you can transfer data to the drive using copy/paste or drag/drop method.

also, In order to understand the health of the drive, we would request you to install and WD Drive Utilities and run the test:

Title: How to install WD Drive Utilities( For both Windows and MAC)
Link: Error

Hi Neha,

Thank you for your message and links. I had found these links via WD customer service and worked through them. Unfortunately, they did not resolve the issue. The My Book that I received did not work as plug and play. I did find quite a few references on review sites to this issue as well.

I have returned the drive to the seller and received a refund, which has gone towards a replacement. Fingers crossed that this one works!