Mount share using NFS in Windows 10 Ultimate

I’m trying to mount a share from My Cloud to Windows 10 Ultimate using NFS. I’ve enabled NFS in Windows 10, but I can’t seem to mount. I keep getting invalid UN and PW.

What’s the best way to do this from a Windows 10 CMD prompt?

I’ve been using

mount -u:seanvree -p:Vreedogg1 \192.168.1.10\movies W:

But I get error:
Network Error - 1326

Type ‘NET HELPMSG 1326’ for more information.

What I see is that the ip address is missing a 1. Isn’t the ip address 192.168.1.10?

RAC

Yeah, that’s just the way the HTML propagates, not related.

Are you using mycloud credentials vs Windows?

Yes, I’m using the root credentials. UN: Root PW: welc0me (however, I changed the root PW.

test with a regular user.

Don’t you want to use the User credentials (that you set up via the Dashboard)., rather than the SSH root user?

I certainly don’t use root to map the MyCloud as a drive under windows.

Well, yes, I can set up a normal network drive fine, but I"m trying to mount a drive using NFS and SSH. In this case you have to use root.

Hmmm, you can set any user to use SSH and NFS. Not from dashboard though. It would required some Linux ssh settings changes on MBL, which is not really supported by WD but doable. I did it to m NAS.

What we are trying to say, if you can mount it via your command via a regular user but not root, there might be something blocking it. You might need some Linux gurus for the answer.

I appriciate the input, but it’s not the user, ROOT user is set my WD and has all access.

No, I can’t mount via a command prompt. That’s the problem.

I should have asked if WD My Cloud supports NFS? LOL Anyone know?

Well, it is running Linux, so almost 100% sure MBL does support NFS. It is also mentioned on supported protocols in manual: CIFS/SMB, NFS, FTP, AFP

Now, Windows 10 is a different story. A quick search seems to indicate only the enterprise version does.

“Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8.1 Enterprise and Windows 10 Enterprise offer NFS-Client”

Was coming to post this. It was my understanding that the NFS client in Windows 10 was confined to just the Enterprise version.

Yup, that’s true. And I AM running Windows 10 Enterprise (corrected).

Did you make the registry changes?

One quickly sees that the Client for NFS software is intended for use in an organization which supports that client with Active Directory’s Identity Management for UNIX component (which extends the directory schema to allow for mapping Windows user and group identities to UNIX UIDs and GIDs) or a User Name Mapping service (which runs on Windows Server). Using the client as a stand-alone solution for a personal network or even within an organization which doesn’t support the client with formal infrastructure is difficult. You’d think simple, local UID/GID mapping would be supported, but it is not.

However, there is a means by which we can goad Windows into effectively allowing us to mount NFS shares on single-user systems. The solution is no good for systems with multiple users (in fact, it’s a horrible security flaw, since the solution forces every user on the Windows system to access the NFS share using the same UID/GID). Fortunately for me, I have just such a single-user system from which I’d like access to my NFS data.

The trick is to instruct the Client for NFS to use the intended UID/GID combination as its “anonymous” account values. This way, you don’t instruct the system to conduct any mapping between your Windows identity and the proper UNIX identity, rather, you just tell it to always use the same UID/GID combination when connecting to NFS. The means by which to do this is not well documented (surprise, surprise), but is accomplished by adding two DWORD values to a registry key which should already exist:

:black_medium_small_square:Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ClientForNFS\CurrentVersion\Default :black_medium_small_square:REG_DWORD: “AnonymousGid”
:black_medium_small_square:REG_DWORD: “AnonymousUid”

Within those two DWORD values, place the desired UID and GID. Restart the Client for NFS service, and you should now be able to mount your NFS shares.

Windows 10 Ultimate? Haven’t heard of that version before. Windows 7 Ultimate, yes but not Windows 10 Ultimate. Microsoft supposedly lists the following versions for Windows 10:
Windows 10 Home
Windows 10 Pro
Windows 10 Mobile
Windows 10 Enterprise
Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB (?)
Windows 10 Education
Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise
Windows 10 IoT Enterprise (?)
Windows 10 IoT Core
Windows 10 IoT Core Pro (?)

Awesome! Thank you!

I got access to the root NFS folder on the WD NAS using a SSH client.

So, my final question (I think) is what’s the performance difference when using a CMD prompt in Win10 using the “MOUNT” command (to the root NFS share on the NAS) versus just mapping a network drive to the same NFS share on the NAS?

sorry I meant enterprise.