Linksys WUSB 100 wireless USB adapter not recognized

Hi there,

for some reason my wireless USB dongle Linksys WUSB 100 is not recognized although it’s on the official list of supported adaptors. I don’t even get the choice between “wireless” and “wired” in the network setup menu.

I am running FW 1.01.11.

Anyone has similar problems or an idea to make it work?

Any help is highly appreciated!

Thanks,

MirkoA

Hello,

Same problem here with same FW. I happened to have a spare Sitecom stick (not in the official list). I put it in and the network was up in no time. I specially bought the Linksys stick for it’s in the official WD list but still glad that I got the network connection working.

Regards,

Insegno

I have the same problem.  I’ve tried a Netgear WG11! (not on the list) and a D-Link DWA-125 (on the list) and neither is seen at all by the WD Live TV.  No light, no option of wireless connection, no nuthin.  I’ve tried both adapters in a PC and they worked fine, so the problem lies elsewhere.  Is there something I need to do to get the WD TV Live to see these wifi adapters?

Hello,

Just wanting to share my experience while searching for wifi USB dongles.

I also bough a WUSB100 for 29eur initially.

In the list of supported there is a remark “no revision” in bold. You must interpret this as “the revisions do not work”. It seems that the older versions of this dongle still had a linksys design, the new version V2 I had has a black cisco design. On the back of the stick it is marked WUSB100 V2. Do not buy this version as it doesn’t work.

I don’t think there is anything clealy indicated on the box.

This one will have to be sold second hand.

I ended up buying a D-link DWA 140 revision 1.31 and can confirm this revision works (on the list of supported devices it is like only the 1.30 works). On the box of these devices you can clearly see which version it is. In Europe it seems this version is available everywhere now.

The WDTV recognized my TrendNet USB dongle when it is plugged in the USB port on the side of the box., not  the USB port in the back panel.  The same thing applied to my other GXT Pro dongle.

I especially bought a Linksys WUSB100-EU which I thought did not have a revision number. However later on when it showed that it did not function on the WD I studied the very tiny letters on the back of the adapter and found that it was a v2 version, which was not mentioned on the package.

It is absolutely not acceptabel that an official product of the Cisco company is not accepted by the WD.

Can WD fix this issue?

ton1947 wrote:

It is absolutely not acceptabel that an official product of the Cisco company is not accepted 

What does THAT have to do with it?

Do you expect WD to put drivers into their firmware for EVERYONE’s USB adapters?   That’s not realistic.

Until the WiFi alliance requires that b/g/n adapters be designed to be Class Compliant, so that a generic driver will always work, that’s just not gonna happen…

ton1947 wrote:

I especially bought a Linksys WUSB100-EU which I thought did not have a revision number. However later on when it showed that it did not function on the WD I studied the very tiny letters on the back of the adapter and found that it was a v2 version, which was not mentioned on the package.

It is absolutely not acceptabel that an official product of the Cisco company is not accepted by the WD.

Can WD fix this issue?

When you connect a USB adaptor to a computer you also install a driver which tells the computer all it needs to know about that adaptor. There are loads of different chipsets for USB adaptors and more coming out each year. It is unrealistic to expect a hardware device such as the WDTV to recognise every adaptor / chipset, irrespective if its from a large company or not. It may be that a future firmware update will include support for your adaptor but that will not help you now.

Today wd tell me that WUSB100 Ver 2 is officialy supported (like in Release Notes of new Firmware 1.02.21).

Anyone has tested it?

Yes, v2 is working fine for me.

I read in one of the posts that the latest firmware has support for WUSB 100 ver 2.

I have upgraded my firmware but WD still does not recognize WUSB 100 ver 2. Does anyone know how to get it to work?

Try the suggestions detailed on the second post of the thread below.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/1-02-21-network-amp-sub-problem/td-p/24234

After doing the above it may be possible to see your adaptor.

I got my WUSB100 v2 yesterday and slapped it straightaway into my WD Live, worked without any problem! I was wondering though if anyone knows of any mac driver for this USB wireless adapter…

Thanks a million in advance!