Less than 5MB/s transfer rate via gigabit ethernet

So I just bought a My Cloud 4TB and I’m getting reaaaally slow transfer speeds on this thing.

I have a gigabit router and my PC is connected via ethernet cable (cat5e) so that’s not the problem. In fact I have tried connecting the My Cloud unit directly to my PC and still getting the same speed.

I have turned off the Media server, Indexing and the thumbnail generator to try and improve the performance but nothing’s changed.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What are you using to prove slow transfer rate? How many files are you copying and how large are they? What is the network adapter driver on the computer indicating for a connection speed? What program are you using to copy the files to the My Cloud?

If you haven’t seen the following thread you may want to review it:

https://community.wd.com/t/before-you-pack-up-your-wd-and-return-it-lets-talk-about-copying-speeds/91887

There are a variety of things including the computer’s hard drive that can affect the copy speed of data being copied to the My Cloud.

One can test their copy speed to the My Cloud using programs like CrystalDiskMark (http://crystalmark.info/software/CrystalDiskMark/index-e.html).

What are you using to prove slow transfer rate? What program are you using to copy the files to the My Cloud?

• The Windows copy dialog and TeraCopy displays the speed of the transfer.

How many files are you copying and how large are they?

• I have tried copying small multiple files and large (1gb+) ones with about the same results.

What is the network adapter driver on the computer indicating for a connection speed?

• Both my computer and the My Cloud unit are displaying they both have gigabit connections (green light for the wdmc).

There are a variety of things including the computer’s hard drive that can affect the copy speed of data being copied to the My Cloud.
One can test their copy speed to the My Cloud using programs like CrystalDiskMark

• That has crossed my mind so I checked and my drives are fine. I even tried copying the files to the SSD first then to the WDMC, same results.

What I’ve noticed is that the speed does start fast (45-50MB/s) then drops to around 20 then 5 and below.

Do you have another computer you can use to test copy speed? Could be something specific on that computer that is causing the slow speed. Also try another network port on the router just to eliminate that as a potential issue. If your computer has a WiFi connection active but you are connected via Ethernet cable, disable or turn off the WiFi connection.

I know you said you have hooked it directly up to a pc’s Ethernet port. Just more of a just in case post! i was having issues with my speeds and come to find out i was using a Cyberpower UPS Backup and its Ethernet jacks weren’t rated for gigabit speeds so any Ethernet surge protectors could limit your speeds massively. Sorry if this doesnt help but good info for down the road :slight_smile: