Itunes Server Help

Hi All,

Just got a 2TB MBL, copied over itunes library to public shared music. When I open Itunes I do not see the Network drive anywhere. Not sure what I am doing wrong. The share has media serving set to ALL.

Thanks,

Renkazza

Additional info. Twonky has everything listed under status but Itunes has nothing. When I rescan Itunes it doesnt do anything really. Just says initiated.

Check if the links below helps.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705058.pdf#page=132

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2686/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0NDI4NTM4Mi9zaWQvcXVDT0gxM2w%3D

Sorry, i have a PC running windows 7. The links didnt help. I have the drive mapped fine but cannot see it in itunes.

Thank you for the links though.

Does home sharing need to be turned on in itunes? I have turned it on but still nothing has changed.

Network Share configuration has nothing to do with iTunes Server.

Twonky Server has nothing to do with iTunes Server.

The ONLY thing you need to do is copy music to the Public / Shared Music folder and enable “iTunes Server” in the MBL control panel.

That’s all.

Are you saying that iTunes server is now working?

whsbuss wrote:

Are you saying that iTunes server is now working?

Huh?  Who are you askIng?  It has ALWAYS worked correctly for me…

Really? I don’t see any share on my iOS devices and videos don’t stream.

No, itunes server does not appear to be working. twonky server is working as it lists all media files in the status drop down and will update when rescan is selected. Itunes server IS enabled but has no status drop down and when rescan is selected, it simply states “itunes rescan has been initiated” and does nothing.

i can access all media on the drive, just not thru itunes.

Im not sure if you are refering to “network share configuration” as the option within itunes itself to turn on 'Home sharing" or if that refers to something within the network I have as a whole. Either way it does not sound like it has anything to do with itunes server as turning it off or on does nothing.

Thanks for the advice, like you mentioned, it says in the written instructions to just copy all media to the public/shared folders open itunes and the mybook live would be listed as a selectable location in itunes. it is not.

whsbuss wrote:

Really? I don’t see any share on my iOS devices and videos don’t stream.

Nor are you supposed to be able to.   It only works in iTunes PC clients.  In order to stream “from” your MBL iTunes server, you must have a PC up and running iTunes on your network.   That’s the way Apple intends it.

And Apple disabled Video Streaming from third-party iTunes Servers a long time ago… more than two years ago?

Renkazza wrote:

i can access all media on the drive, just not thru itunes.

I’m not sure what to suggest…  All I can say is that it’s working normally for me:

Maybe you can try DISABLING iTunes server on the MBL.   Then reboot it.   Then re-enable it, and wait a little while (10-20 minutes) and see if it appears then.

You might also have a firewall rule on your PC that’s blocking Bonjour and/or DAAP (the two protocols that iTunes Service requires.)

It’s better if you ignore the phrase “iTunes Server” and just view the facility as a place other than your computers internal HD on which to store your iTunes music when one is running short of disk space.  As has been said previously, you can’t use it without your PC/Mac being active and you can’t use it to stream video.  It is therefore simply an external storage area for said music files.  I don’t even have it active on my own MBL as I’m not particularly short of HD space on my Mac.

A lot of MBL users or indeed those using competitors products are fooled by the term “iTunes Server”.

Jacko1 wrote:

It’s better if you ignore the phrase “iTunes Server” and just view the facility as a place other than your computers internal HD on which to store your iTunes music when one is running short of disk space.  As has been said previously, you can’t use it without your PC/Mac being active and you can’t use it to stream video.  It is therefore simply an external storage area for said music files.  I don’t even have it active on my own MBL as I’m not particularly short of HD space on my Mac.

A lot of MBL users or indeed those using competitors products are fooled by the term “iTunes Server”.

Yeah turned off iTunes on my MBL long ago. Waste of a feature IMO.