Is this 12TB disk failing? HDDScan results

Hello,

A few months ago, I bought two 12TB disks to complement the two 8TB disks I already had in my DS920+

I immediately noticed that at least one of the new disks made a very high pitch sound from time to time. This was not correlated with disk beeing active meaning the NAS was not necessarily sending or receiving data when this noise appeared.

I did a HDDScan 4.1 Verify test of the disk and it came up with the following result:

I am not able to interpret the result fully. I do see there are no Bad sectors (?) but there are one with more than 500ms read time?

During a SMART test of both 12TB disks I did a small 10 sec video and you can hear a distinct difference in the noise created by the two disks.

Now what I’m wondering is if this is normal, or should I seek a replacement for the disk?

Please see the videos below:

Disk 1 noise:

Disk 2 noise:

Hi @Hoggorm,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

1 Like

Thank you for coming back to me Keerti_01

Yes, I’ve opened a support case for this. Hopefully WD will approve my request for a replacement disk. I am really concerned about this sound…

I have three WD disks in my NAS and this disk 2 is the only one making these noises…

Hello,

We recommend you kindly refer to the following KBA article(Why Does My Hard Drive Make Noise?)