WD Red 4TB noise levels

Good morning all,

I have just purchased my first NAS and I am using 2 X 4TB WD Red (standard version, not the Pro model) drives within it. Maybe I have become a little too accustomed to the relative silence of SSD drives over the years as the noise from the WD Red drives I have seems a little louder than I was expecting. The router and NAS is located in the bedroom so if any read / write activity is taking place during the night, the noise from the drives is quite audible.

I have taken a video to demonstrate the noise I am referring to. The video is a fresh power on of the NAS and you should be able the hear the noise I am referring to from the 20 second mark onwards. I also recorded the noise level during a file transfer from my laptop to the NAS?

Is the noise level normal or have I been sent two drives that resemble a couple of dot matrix printers :wink:

Cheers in advance
James

Hello,

Make sure to test the drive to confirm that they are working properly.

See if this helps
https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=568

Thanks very much for the suggestion ERmorel.

Much appreciated

Hello All,

Can some one help me for following similar question:

I have bought new Synology DS218j and two WD Red 4TB drives and used as Hybrind RAID (SHR). The problem is the vibration type sound, which happens in every 5 seconds despite that there is none of the two Disk LEDs blinking i.e. I do not use any data from the NAS drive at that time. For example while in night time the sound is quite audible :frowning:

This sound can be listened in the audio [shared audio link:
https://app.box.com/s/yo60lcz19z6g2c78geeh1hk6cc846tiq]
at following timestamps:

00:05
00:09
00:13 - 00:14
00:19 - 00:20
00:24
00:29 - 00:30
00:39 - 00:40
00:45
00:50

Initially I thought the problem is in Synology DS218j device but I thought to do following tests before I sent the Synology DS218j device for replacement:

• By removing both the drives and then powering on the Synology DS218j and there was no such noise present.
  • After that I fitted only one of those 2 HDDs and such sound was audible again.
  • After that I fitted only second HDD (as single HDD) and such sound was audible again.

I consulted Synology DS218j chat support and they kind of gave me a hint that this is issue in WD Red since 2015, after suggesting me to do above tests, which I had already done.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Br
Ashish