WD Red, 6TB in a Buffalo LS-WVL3D9

Hopefully, in the correct topic area…As shown in the title of this post, I have 2, 6tb Red’s in my NAS. Every 4 seconds or so, I hear what sounds like the voice coil being activated. There is no indication in my switch of any data being transfer in or out of the NAS, and the activity light in the NAS does not blink. I just upgraded from a pair of 3tb Seagate, and I don’t reall any noise out of them. Buffalo tells me the Red is an accepted drive for my Link Station Pro Duo.

Anyone have any ideas about this? Do I have 1 or both Red drive defective? If I pull 1 of the Red’s and turn the NAS on, it will no longer see the 2nd drive when reinserted, and It will have to go through a 15 hour RAID detection cycle. (Unacceptable, I know, but this is what I have so I live with it.)

Thanks for any suggestions/help/advice!

The Kid

As a recommendation, test the drives individually connected internally on a desktop PC.

Also see if the following link helps to identify the sound.
How to tell if the noise or sound the drive is making is normal

AS I said, these drives are in a NAS device. If I pull one of the drives, it will no longer be recognized as part of a RAID and it will take 15 hours, + or - , to redetect the drive. According to the ‘How to tell…’ topic, it would seem one (or both) of the drives are defective. I find that hard to believe. 1 maybe, not both. I will talk to Buffalo and maybe they can shed some light on the ‘issue’ which just may be a non-issue.

Thanks…

The Kid

It’s just the way it is with these NAS devices for home and office use. They are very simple, and easy to use, as long as they work properly. But they don’t facilitate any serious diagnostic utilities like the business or enterprise class NAS devices do. Or home-brew NAS devices…

Many of the popular NAS brands offer some kind of “app” platform for you to install and run. But when it comes down to it, none of them offer any disk diagnostic apps. None that I’m aware of. Instead, you are asked to pull your drives out and test them on a desktop computer with a drive manufacturer specific software. Whether or not your RAID array breaks or how long it takes you to redetect or rebuild it, that’s irrelevant to the NAS manufacturer. I’m sorry kid, but you have to use the old school DLGDIAG if you want to test your drives for any defects.

What kind of diagnostic tools you have available in your NAS depends on the brand and the class (i.e. price tag) of the NAS you have. Check the manual for your specific model to see what kind of feature set it has and what tools are available to you. If there are no such tools, or if you don’t feel confident about the result they give you then you have to take it apart and plug it into a computer and let DLGDIAG do the checking.