Is brand new eBay merchandise still covered by the manufacture's warranty?

If I purchased a Western Digital My Book that’s listed as “brand new” on eBay, is the merchandise still covered by the manufacture’s warranty? Thanks.

Of course it would be, but why not buy it from Amazon and be sure to get the latest model and Amazon’s service, too! eBay often sell older models – you have to really check eBay.

So there’s late AND older models of the exact same WD External Drives in circulation???

BTW, thank you for replying, Mike. :slight_smile:

Various models of My Book have been produced over the years; all under the name of My Book. But, they are not the same exact models. Most sellers at eBay sell older, and discontinued models of all sorts of things; not just WD products. I buy from eBay as well as Amazon and Newegg. In any case, I know what model generation of a product I am buying (Amazon sells older stuff, too, through resellers, like eBay) I always check the model number (e.g. a WD My Book) at WD site and be sure that is the model being sold from any seller before I buy.

I need to be able to distinguish these outdated and/or ‘discontinued’ model that you speak of. Are the actual model numbers different? Since “most sellers at eBay” sell such items, can you show me a specific My Book model to illustrate your point?

This would sure be helpful to many others viewing this exchange, and since “most sellers” engage in this practice, then this should be easy for you to find at least one example. Thanks again Mike.

I am leaving for the day and cannot do this for many hours. Here is what YOU DO. find the model number you want to buy at WD website www.wdc.com in their Products section and match it to the one you want to buy. Match model numbers, and I would say you found the same ones.

Okay, we shall await your return. This should be good. :slight_smile:

So, did you find this page at wdc.com with the specs AND model numbers of the current My Book models? Now, compare the model number to the one offered at eBay. and if it doesn’t match the comperable one at the WD site, then it must be an older model.
All Products: Shop Hard Drives, SSDs, USBs, & Memory Cards | Western Digital

Yes, of course I shop this way…as you know, My Books comes in various storage capacities and I use the model numbers in the search fields to find the specific units that interest me.

Now can you please show us at least one example of one those outdated and/or ‘discontinued’ models that you speak of. You indicated that such models are widespread on eBay so this shouldn’t be too difficult, right? Your efforts would surely help educate the public if you’re able to do this.

Tell me the link of the My Book you want to buy at eBay and I will compare it to the current models at WD store and it will either have the same model number as the current model w/same capacity, or it won’t

I can tell you that say, two My Books of 2TB could be different where an older one has USB2 only, whereas the newer one has both USB 3 (and 2). And, they won’t have the same model number.

But for you to ask me to find an example of older and new models being sold, is something I do not want to take the time for. Heck, I am not shopping, you are!

I have often checked out things I buy to assure myself I am buying the current model of something. It is not rocket science, but can take extra time…

OK, here goes:

The model number of the eBay product for sale, is the same as the one for sale at WD Store and at Amazon: WDBFJK0040HBK-NESN

Nevertheless, the product in box shown is different than the ones shown at WD Store and at Amazon – it is the older box design, so it could very well be older inventory (and with older firmware).

The price at WD Store is too high, whereas the prices at eBay and Amazon are same (the Amazon is one dollar more than at eBay). Amazon is the largest online seller of WD Products and their inventory turns over frequently. Each time it has done so the price of the 4TB drive has dropped (six months ago it was $15 more than today’s $116 price.)

What happens if you bought the eBay drive (there is only one left) and it is DOA out of the box? The eBay seller has no more to exchange it for, and even if he did, he might not want to exchange it or refund you without a run-around hassle.

Amazon, on the other hand, likely has a hundred in stock, plus Amazon is great when it comes to exchanges.

Bottom line, buy the My Book from Amazon. It so happens I have been considering buying a My Book 4TB, and since I see the Amazon price has dropped again since I last looked, I may just decide to buy one from Amazon today!

So, I have said and done all I feel I need to do to help you.
Good luck, and enjoy your new My Book.

You’re right about the boxes being different, that’s something I didn’t notice right away…good observation. So far I couldn’t find any discontinued models of the item I’m interested in, though. However, I did find for sale on eBay a discontinued model of a 5tb version of My Book. Anyway, thanks for your enlightenment and bringing this whole matter to my attention.

I did buy the My Book 4TB yesterday from Amazon w/delivery on Monday. Did you?

Nah.

So, not buying one at all, or did you buy it elsewhere? eBay? All this information, and it turns out I am the guy who bought one? Weird.

When you told me that the eBay warranty was valid and in effect I ordered one shortly thereafter. I guess I should have waited until you informed me (in detail) that this is older inventory, huh?

The firm ware issue doesn’t bother me at all, as I ALWAYS go directly to the manufacturer’s site of any “new” product and obtain the latest updates. It’s just the fact that I want the latest build (despite the fact the older version is fully warrantied) when I buy such items and so a refund request is in order.

The My Book arrived from Amazon today, and the first thing I noticed is that the box is the same as the eBay box design pictured in the listing you sent with the Drive shown on the right with a sticker above 4TB stating “Windows 10” also with a check box checked.

The box pictured at WD Store and at Amazon have the drive shown on the left side of box, and no indication it is Win 10 ready. So they both have the older box pictured, so if your box also has the drive pictured on the right as I do with Win 10 sticker, we apparently got the latest iteration of the My Book. So much for posted pictures always being current.

Anyway, good luck with it.

Here is a new post regarding warranty issue of older equipment just put into service you may find interesting: