Is brand new eBay merchandise still covered by the manufacture's warranty?

Oh heck, I submitted a Refund Request at eBay earlier today and they ruled in my favor!!! The seller asked eBay to intervene on his behalf and he lost anyway. I still have that My Book in my possession. I didn’t even bother to opening the USPS packaging so everything is in pristine condition and undisturbed just as it was shipped.

So I should keep the item anyway??? Please advise quickly. This is so embarrassing…Lol!

Open the USPS pkg, take a look and see if My Book box is sealed with plastic wrap and is as I described mine. If so, keep it if it has the Win 10 OK sticker on front. Also, somewhere on back of box it has a copyright date of 2015, too. I really think you are OK, and just tell eBay and seller you have decided to keep it. The seller will be more glad than otherwise that you decided to do so.

Thank you so much for your advice Mike, I really appreciate it. I was preparing to send it back first thing in the morning!

Anyway, since eBay is mediating in this matter, I wrote them back asking that IF the seller agrees to allow me to open the USPS packaging and inspect it myself for the presence of that info, AND also stands by his original return policies then I would like to keep the WD My Book. I’ll keep you posted on the results.

Oh, and thank you for the My Book Live Duo drive info. As an aside, before I chose the one I’m getting now I was actually going to buy a variant of the My Book Duo but changed my mind due to a serious potential flaw involving WD’s poor drive encryption scheme. Read about it here:

Note I did not say you should keep it, but you could keep it as it appears the one in hand is same as what Amazon shipped me. The Amazon drive will cost you more if you do NOT have their free Prime shipping. If you have Prime then the price is a wash. You’re all clear to return it to seller and can turn around and buy from Amazon. But since you do have the drive, what would be the point?. You DO need to open pkg to confirm you have what is actually pictured, though. Your call, for sure.

As for the link about the Duo: my point in sending it to you was the info in the post regarding the complication of the warranty issue that was your original concern. Something to consider.

eBay is not an authorized reseller.

http://www.wdc.com/en/buy/

As for warranty coverage, this is a case-by-case situation assuming the hard drive in question is new.

1 Like

Trancer, thanks for chiming in and setting the record straight from WD’s perspective.

It was another reason I would not buy a pricey product from eBay when there is Amazon, B&H. Newegg, (even Costco) and other authorized dealers selling same item

1 Like

My product has just been confirmed as legit, and the serial number indicates that the warranty on this WD My Book expires on June 25, 2018.

That’s good, although I don’t think the question ever was is it legit. (At least in my mind it not being legit was never a question.)

OK, so I got curious about the warranty of the My Book I ordered from Amazon on 8/20/16 and it’s warranty expires exactly two years from date of purchase on 8/20/18.

This indicates to me that Amazon reported the sale of my unit’s serial number to WD, ASAP, and the warranty’s “clock” starts on that date of initial sale.

Good, that’s something to consider as well. Gotta know the effective warranty dates on merchandise.