Is a DLNA process keepping the drive from sleeping?

Hi everyone, 

I have a MyCloud 4TB, and as recommended in other threads I stopped the wdmcserverd and wdphotodbmergerd processes, making the drive to perform as advertised. However, after a couple of days the drive is not sleeping as it did with the previous FW. I am using the latest release 4.00.01-623 (9/24/2014). When I look into the /var/log/user.log using SSH I see lots of entries every few minutes that read: 

Sep 30 07:51:05 MyCloud REST_API[25045]: 192.168.0.143 OUTPUT DlnaServer\Controller\Database GET SUCCESS

I have Media Streaming and iTunes server turned off.

What does this entry mean?

Is it being triggered by a device accessing the drive?

The IP address is that of my pc, but I am not running anything requesting media or anything else from the MyCloud. 

Can it be stopped somehow to let the drive sleep?

Any insight into what this is or what it is doing would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Hi, 

It’s possible that the DLNA server is in use by a device on the network.

Have you tried contacting WD Support about this?

WD Contact info:

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en%22

wtexas wrote: …

Sep 30 07:51:05 MyCloud REST_API[25045]: 192.168.0.143 OUTPUT DlnaServer\Controller\Database GET SUCCESS

… 

It may just be timing coincidence, but I’ve also seen that log posting gone wild (basically every minute again & again), and seem to be able to stop it by toggling Power Saving OFF then ON, (possibly with some delay prior to the re-toggle?)

Anyway, I don’t know what/if the connection is, but it’s something to try…

I have not contacted WD support, figured someone in the board could know about it. 
I’ll try the turn off/on with the power savings, and I’ll see what happens.

Thanks!

Hi,

I was wondering if you found a solution to this? I get the message twice a minute and my user.log file is getting bigger for no reason. It is 115k after 1 day.

thanks & best regards

Tom

tom.laird wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering if you found a solution to this? I get the message twice a minute and my user.log file is getting bigger for no reason. It is 115k after 1 day.

thanks & best regards

Tom

If the DLNA client is active, the drive will not spin down.  I have this issue with a roku box.

Roku box with DLNA channel open, not playing anything/sitting idle as it displays media files = drive will never sleep.

Roku box with DLNA channel closed = drive will sleep.

My guess is you have something that is pinging the DLNA server keeping the connection alive.

Hi,

I captured the TOP output over 2 minutes then did some sorting and was expecting to see one of the processes appear 4 times that could be linked to the log file entry, but nothing obvious has appeared. “getMediaServerD” only appeared once in the 2 minutes unless it was so quick TOP did not capture it and unfortunately its PID changes each time so difficult to get it in isolation. I will continue to get to the reason for this.

The drive itself goes to sleep / spins down after about 10 minutes so I am not too worried about that aspect. I am more worried about an ever-increasing log file though with it full of meaningless entries.

br

Tom

Are you using the Twonky server?

If so, change the ‘rescan interval’ (in the ‘Advanced’ settings page) from -1 to something else; 1440 will cause a rescan once per day, rather than rescanning for new files continuously. 0 will stop automatic rescans.

This might allow the drive to sleep; it did for mine.

[reads later replies… if the drive is actually sleeping, it’s probably not Twonky…]