Instruction to connect My Cloud Home Duo directly to computer

Hi Guys,

My mother does not have a router.
I’ve been searching for instructions to connect the My Cloud Home Duo directly but cant find any. Any suggestions \ links?

Thanks

@DonC

Have you already checked the Knowledge Base?
Search Support | Western Digital

My Cloud Home Duo - Important Update About Access To Your Files for Local Access - My Cloud Home - Personal Cloud Storage / My Cloud Home Duo - WD Community

Have you tried searching (magnifying glass icon top right) for ‘direct connection’ in the MCH or MCH Duo subforums?

MCH and MCHD required DHCP in order to get an assigned IP address. If you don’t have a router, you can’t usually get an IP address unless you can specify it in the device but the MCH’s firmware does not allow setting a static address as it can be done with other NAS type devices. Therefore you have to set the IP through Windows or macOS ‘Internet connection sharing’ (ICS) functionality which has a built in DHCP server that is rarely advertised or discussed.

In the past few years, MCH users tried and failed and thought direct connection cannot be done, but it can, with the following simple instruction.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the informative reply.
I shipped the drive to my mother and have since found out that not only does she not have a regular router, but the laptop also doesnt have any ethernet ports… I dont suppose a connection to the laptop using a network to usb connector would work?

The instruction is in the thread, USB network adapters should work for ICS. Just one observation if I may, the MCH and MCHDuo are not the easiest storage to set up and troubleshoot for an older person, perhaps a large USB storage drive could do just as well.

Excellent, so there is a chance.

I totally agree. Im sorry I bought the thing.
It was advertised that it could run plex… but when I looked, it wasnt overly impressive.

Its all I had and couldnt save for another drive and set it up by the time It was taken to my parents in another country.