I finally did it

After little to no response from WD about all of the security vulnerabilities mentioned earlier this year I decided that enough was enough. I finally ripped the drives out from my myCloud and switched to a DS718+ Synology NAS; My only regret is not having done it sooner. This thing is miles ahead of the experience that WD has provided me with; Features like anti-virus, Plex, virtual machines, etc are all built-in. Most importantly they also seem to have the right mentality when it comes to security.

I’d like to personally thank all of you here for all the support you’ve provided over the years. I wish you all the best and urge you to look into converting to Synology the next time you’re in the market for a NAS. After almost 7 years I can finally say good riddance to the pestilence that is the WD NAS product line and WD support team (what a joke).

I’m glad to hear someone switches to Synology. But honestly speaking, I think we get what we paid for. The price of DS718+ is three times higher than WD Mycloud2 and it’s diskless.
Just hope I can afford to buy Synology one day.:slight_smile:

The entry level My Cloud is a bottom of line product. The Synology product does not appear to be their entry level one. Same can be said for upper level WD NAS devices like one I have which works great. Bottom line producta are not the best at anything.

When you buy Synology - You pay for OS (Firmware) about 70% of total price.
For example: WD MyCloud Mirror Gen1 and Synology DS216j - is same devices (By hardware). But price…