What should I buy

Hi, I have been watching this forum for a little while as I am considering purchasing a My Cloud. I had thought about a Synology NAS as they seem to get a good writeup, but they are more expensive than the My Cloud.

I am concerned about the problems of connecting the My Cloud to the WD server that I have read here and elsewhere. Is this still a problem? 

Is there anything else that I should be aware of before I purchase? 

Is there any difference between the 3TB & 4TB models, as I seem to recall that the 4TB model is less reliable.

Thanking you in anticipation.  Neil.

Hello and welcome to the community,

WD servers are up and running without any recent issues. There is no difference between the 3TB and the 4TB. 

I have never used a Synology, maybe other users can share their experience about your questions.

1 Like

If I had the cash I would buy a Synology as it is likely to be more reliable and faster on data transfers.  Having said that have had mycloud about 9 months and Iam very happy with it.

Realistically it is not much more cash than the hard drive that is in it.

1 Like

Thanks for the helpful replies.  Talking of hard drives, have they got the WD red drive?

Yes the red drive.

Some people have issues but many more work fine.

What you should get Will depend on what you want to use it for. It could be a good choice. It could be overkill. Or may not be adaquit for it.

I have 2-MY Cloud 3 TB versions. One is a year old and the other one I got for Christmas. My first one had some issues as the firmware was very buggy, but with the help of level 2 support from WD everything worked out fine. Both are running the latest firmware with out any issues.

I just created a Safepoint from one My Cloud to the other without any issues and they update perfectly. I would say, I install my firmware manually and do not let the either My Cloud do it automatically. Both go to sleep without issues. The only thing the takes forever is the “Content Scan” after you upload a lot of pictures/movies/music, but if you turn off the media servers while you upload and then turn the media server back on, when the My Cloud is not in use, it will scan at it’s on pace and the NAS’es will become useful again.

With all that said I am happy with both units. The people on this forum have always been the greatest help for any issues that may arise.

If you are a glutton for punishment and have a very high pain threshold, then you will be fine with the MyCloud.  You can’t really compare this toy with a Synology as that is a real device.  I have 4 really really inexpensive NAS devices that have been running nonstop for several years with no problems at all.  Then there’s the MyCloud junk.  

If you want something that is in the same performance class as a mycloud, but works and is much more flexible, then get a POGOPLUG and attach some drives.

Oh my this device is a junk toy? I’ve been running several websites, fastcgi daemons, mysql databases, smtp/pop mta, proxy server on the 4tb wdmycloud and yet having my data transfer, backups and stream media as a normal user would. I should migrate asap…

To be fair, Nazar, you’re hardly a ‘simple consumer’ who might expect a NAS to run out of the box, with little user intervention. the MyCloud is advertised as a ‘simple 1-2-3’ device. Whereas you’re a very expert user, happy and capable to use Linux developer and administrator skills to get the thing working as you wish.

Fortunately for the less skilled users, you are also prepared to help people out, which is very much appreciated. But, in an ideal world, your assistance would not be necessary.

I bought my MyCloud 4TB to have my own Cloud storage.  I wanted remote access.  I had already maxed out several free on-line cloud services.

Since I find many things don’t work as advertising leads you to beleive, I try to keep things simple and not expensive.  I already have a 500GB & a 1TB drive from WB.  I have had these for years.  Niether have given me any problems.  They both still work but the memory is max’d out.  In my case I am more than satisfied with WD reliability.

For the Cloud and remote access functions of my new MyCloud 4TB, I am quite satisfied.  I mainly upload photos.  Then access them through Photoshop without a bunch of manipulation in between.  The MyCloud solved those issues for me.

There were a few quirky things that had to be resolved for my use.  But I am pretty much a dumb user.  So if I can figure it out, or with suggestions from forum users I would rate the MyCLoud 4TB a great choice for the price.

also to be fair many of the issues are not the fault of the mycloud. network/router issues, installing additional software, no understanding of networking ( a NAS will always be more complecated then and external USB drive), windows credential handling, low Internet bandwidth (especially upload)

there are some seriouse issues I listed a few below, I have no idea how many users are impacted by the items below but it seems to be more then the exception.

the samba overall_share file getting corrupted, althoug an unskilled user can recover this with no data loss using a system only restore which can be a pain but not the end of the world.

I don’t use an external USB drive with this but there has been enough detailed reports that I believe this is a major issue also.

this device really needs more memory, from the internal pictures I have seen it appears WD designed it for more, not sure why it is not offered.

the initial V4 FW was pretty bad, much better since then 

I’m using the latest v4 (417) release and I am having the following problems:

1. Attaching USB drive causes me to not have any access to MyCloud.

2. Accessing shares is a mess.  If I create a new user and a new share, the newuser can only access the newshare if PUBLIC ACCESS is turned on UNLESS I reboot the MyCloud.  Now if I assign an existing user to the newshare, the existinguser can’t access the share unless I rebout my computer.

I confirmed this behavior with WD support.  They are suppsoedly looking into this with Engineering.

1 what format is the external?  Sounds like a non supported format

2 sounds like a Windows issue. You can only connect 1 Windows user to 1 remote user at a time. And if you connect to a public share 1st that is your user and you have no access to private shares.

Barb351 wrote:

Hi, I have been watching this forum for a little while as I am considering purchasing a My Cloud. I had thought about a Synology NAS as they seem to get a good writeup, but they are more expensive than the My Cloud.

I am concerned about the problems of connecting the My Cloud to the WD server that I have read here and elsewhere. Is this still a problem? 

Is there anything else that I should be aware of before I purchase? 

Is there any difference between the 3TB & 4TB models, as I seem to recall that the 4TB model is less reliable.

Thanking you in anticipation.  Neil.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Semi-advanced-Guide-to-getting-a-running-start-setting-up-My/m-p/836089

Not clue about realiability, but most issues are PEBKAC or unrealistic expectations of a NAS with a slow CPU.  Above is a guide I wrote to cut through the BS.

larryg0

Thanks for your feedback.  

1. The drive is NTFS and works just fine as long as it’s not connected to the MyCloud.  Note, that there are many complaints regarding the USB on the forums with v4 firmware,not just me.

2. Only 1 windows user on 1 machine at a time. 2 users, each on different machines can access a shares.  At any rate, rebooting the mycloud and in the case of a newuser + newshare rebooting the desktop resolves the problem.  This is not a good approach as you can’t go around rebooting machines everytime you add a user or a share.  Ive never had to do that with any of my 4 other NAS drives.