I am sooooooo lost

i have a wd tv live using an usb wireless to connect to my win7 computer. i have read the post and have tried so many things that i do not remember what i did and do not know where to start troubleshooting. right now i can access the internet and view youtube videos. this is what i know at this time

when i select music>media server>wdmedia>folders i get 2 choices - 'c" drive and the music folder that i selected when i used the include in folder option. Do not know why i see the “c” drive selection

when is select photo>media server>wdmedia>photo>folders all i see is “c” drive. if i keep selecting i get users>user name then i get 2 folders. one shows the pictures and the other shows the music that i selected earlier

when is select video>media sever>wdmedia>folders is get no media in current folder

does anybody has any suggestions on what i should do to get back to some type of starting point and then start making changes???

i do have the media streaming turned on . What other info do i need to get?

Thanks

RH

First of all, welcome to the forums.

Second of all, try connecting via net shares.  Media servers are always a PITA, and this alone might solve your problem (if you don’t know how to set up net shares just ask).

Mike,

Reading these posts get pretty confusing to someone that is not super technical. i could not decide if media servers or net  shares was the way to go. Can you help show me how to get the net shares working?

Thanks

RH

i copied a movie to the public video folder. when i went to tvhd and selected videos on the net shares i saw a folder called users. when i select the folder i see 3 new folders - default, public, and a folder with all of my documents. if i select public i see all of the folders under the public main folder. i can then select videos and see the movie that i copied to the public video folder so i guess that means my net shares are working.

Is that how i should be doing net shares?

How do i hid folders that i do not want everyone to see - i.e.   the public folder and my personnel folder when i select the user folder? Can i have the menu show the public folder without having to show the users folder first?

is it easier or better to use tversity? not sure how but thinking about downloading s/w and giving it a shot.

What you are seeing are the default net shares on your computer.  If they work (that is, if you can successfully play videos from them) then I’d advise you to set up your own net shares (and possibly disable or at least password protect those default ones).  That way when you go to net shares you only see the stuff you want to see on the Live.

It’s easy to share a folder in most any version of Windows – just right click on it and go to Properties and then the Sharing tab.  From there you can enter a name for it (like “Movies”) as well as set permissions (my advice is for these folders to not have a password and let “everyone” see and use them).  You can then go to your other shared folders and change the permissions/password as desired (or even stop sharing them) so they won’t be available to the Live.

I know absolutely nothing about TVersity, so you’ll need to ask others here (and you should ask that as a separate question with that in the title to attract attention).   I do know that media servers in general have a lot more issues with the Live (but I am only assuming TVersity is a media server).

Mike,

I really appreciate the help.  This is my first setup and still trying to learn.

Few more questions:

what would i use the libraries for? if i added one of my folders to the library would i see them on the network shares or are the librares for media servers.

After the changes that you suggested this is what i have:

if i select video from the wd live i select network shares. then i select win7 (which is the name of my computer). I then see 4 folders - users, pictures, movies, music.  I still cannot figure out how to hide the “users” folder. I changed the setting to no share but i still see it.

When i select either video, photo, or music from the wd live menu i get the same four files as above. So i guess that by sharing my folders and giving them each a name then whatever i pick on the live will give me the same. Is this correct?

How do you catergorize each folder to let live know what type of folder it should be?

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by “libraries”.  You’ll have to tell me where you are seeing or reading about this.

Unfortunately, to hide the “users” folder is a bit tricky.  I’d recommend you leave it alone (it doesn’t contain any information you would worry about others on your home network seeing).  If you really really want to, you can hide it like this:

http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/tweaklibrary/tweaks/10088/

but, as I said, it would be better to just leave it alone.

Under the current version of WD Live it doesn’t matter which you choose, video, photo or music, you will see the same media files no matter what (yeah, it doesn’t make much sense).  Hopefully this will be fixed in the next or future firmware updates.  So you just have to manage your files yourself, putting the right things in each folder (believe it or not, some folks really like it this way – I don’t :>).

Libraries are an extension in Windows 7 that was started in Win Vista.   

When you create a folder, you can add that folder to a Library.   That library will only show files in that folder that match a specific criteria.   The Library can be like “Photos,”  “Excel Documents,”  etc.    

The library is just a new way of organizing content…   It doesn’t do away with the original folder structure at all.

It’s kinda handy, actually.   But, I don’t use Libraries for my Media content, as Libraries are not shares.

Oh, THOSE libraries.  Thanks, Tony – I thought he was talking about something in the Live.  Doh!

Libraries are an extension in Windows 7 that was started in Win Vista.   

When you create a folder, you can add that folder to a Library.   That library will only show files in that folder that match a specific criteria.   The Library can be like “Photos,”  “Excel Documents,”  etc.    

The library is just a new way of organizing content…   It doesn’t do away with the original folder structure at all.

It’s kinda handy, actually.   But, I don’t use Libraries for my Media content, as Libraries are not physical locations, but are “Virtual” containers.   They can be shared, too.

thanks for the help. I am trying to learn how to program the live and learning windows 7 both at the same time. Should have stuck with xp until i got the hang of the live box,