How to sync WD My Cloud across multi users account

I bought WD My Cloud for my office use. I wanted to us as a server and sync across all users through internet just like dropbox.

The files from computer A(user 1) will be exact same as in computer B(user 2), when i make any changes in computer A, it will sync through computer B too, but with different account because i want to set share access.

And how do i access my WD my cloud without using browser (www.mycloud.com) . I prefer it to be open locally when i am not on my office network.

The My Cloud is not a replacement for DropBox or similar online storage services. If you want DropBox like operation then use DropBox.

You can configure WD Sync on each computer to sync into the same location on the My Cloud. However, many users have reported issues and problems both with using WD Sync and with attempting to sync multiple computers together using WD Sync. You can use the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) to find past discussions on trying to sync multiple computers to one location on the My Cloud.

With respect to remote access to the My Cloud, currently there is no official way to remote map a My Cloud. WD removed that capability over a year ago. Currently the official methods of remote access to a My Cloud are using WD Sync, WD Desktop, WD mobile apps for iOS and Android, the MyCloud.com web portal, or the insecure FTP.

More information and software can be found at the following links:

https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904

http://mycloud.com/learn/?id=mycloud

1 Like

Please give me a reason to use WD my cloud the WD sync across multiple computers is not working. Since you called it cloud then i assume it may working the same like Dropbox-like software.

I think i will demand for a refund after this. I am sorry but it doesn’t suit my need since you said “The My Cloud is not a replacement for DropBox or similar online storage services. If you want DropBox like operation then use DropBox.”

Bennor didn’t call it anything; WD did.

Bennor isn’t WD. Neither am I; this is a user forum.

Most of us here are NOT WD employees or paid by WD. We are simply users of the My Cloud such as yourself who came here for one reason or another and have stayed to help and assist others in using the My Cloud.

The My Cloud device, despite the “Cloud” name, is a network attached storage device (NAS) that has limited remote access capabilities. DropBox and other similar services are online remote location storage site services. Each serve a slightly different function.

WD Sync can sync a computer to a My Cloud unit located in a remote location. However, if you use the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) you will find several past discussions of people attempting to sync files from one computer to another using the My Cloud as the central sync repository and the problems they’ve had. The WD Sync software isn’t really designed to perform such a sync between different computers using the My Cloud as the central sync repository. Sometimes WD Sync works, sometimes it doesn’t when syncing multiple computers to one central sync repository.

If all computers were on the same local network as the My Cloud then one could use third party sync software like Free File Sync (https://www.freefilesync.org/) to perform computer to computer syncing using the My Cloud as the main sync repository. The downside with third party sync software like Free File Sync is their inability to sync to a remote My Cloud using methods other than SFTP.

WD decided to limit remote access to a My Cloud using a few official programs and methods. WD Sync, WD Desktop, WD mobile apps, MyCloud.com and FTP.

One way to work around this limitation and still use third party sync software is to setup a VPN connection between remote computers and the network containing the My Cloud. To learn more about VPN and how to set up both a VPN server and VPN clients perform an internet search and or contact your companies IT department and inquire with them on how to use VPN to access the company network so you can access the My Cloud remotely using VPN.

1 Like