How to Delete .wdmc files and prevent creation

hello, I am a novice and would like to find out how to delete the .wdmc files and to stop creating them. I have seen the other posts about using command lines but don’t understand it. is there a way to do this easily in the settings or some other way? It seems ridiculous to me that this is a default function of this device, there should be a place in the web interface to turn it on and off… Am I missing something?

Thanks

I have seen the other posts about using command lines but don’t understand it.

You don’t really have to understand; you just have to follow the instructions carefully.

is there a way to do this easily in the settings or some other way?

No, hence the numerous threads with instructions.

It seems ridiculous to me that this is a default function of this device, there should be a place in the web interface to turn it on and off…

Yes, there should. But, sadly, there isn’t.

It’s a default function of the device to support cloud access to photos.

Am I missing something?

No.

thanks, but I don’t know how to install samba… I downloaded but it is way over my head…

Install samba? What instructions are you talking about? You don’t need to install samba.

The thread you want is here.

how do I ssh into my device?

You could read the User Manual, or search the online support, or read this.

You will need an SSH client, such as PuTTY

Here is a step-by-step instruction for what you want to do:

1. Enable SSH
  • login to your WDMyCloud dashboard ( http://wdmycloud/ ) → go to Settings → Network → and set  SSH to  ON
  1. Download Putty, an SSH client

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/​​download.html

- install it on your computer

1. Open Putty and connect to WDMyCloud via SSH
  • Enter the IP address of your WDMyCloud in the  Host Name ( or IP Address ) field.

• Click Open on the bottom to connect

• If this is your first time using SSH for your device you will need to accept the  Host Key by clicking  Yes

1. Login
  • The default login is “root” and the password is “welc0me” (yes, that is a number zero in welc0me)

Run the following commands

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

Then:  

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable

update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

Note: Copy and pasting commands with putty can be done by selecting the commands from this screen (copy),

then go back to the putty screen and paste by right-clicking on your mouse anywhere on the screen.

Then:

cd etc/samba

mkdir no

mv  smb-global_veto.conf no

service samba restart

You can now log out (type “exit”)

You may now set the SSh back to Off in the MyCloud dashboard

From file explorer, locate your MyCloud shares. Map each share as a network drive by right clicking on the share. Select map network drive. You shares will now appear as if they were hard drives attached to your computer.

Use your file explorer to search for all .wdmc folders in each share. Highlight them all using ctrl-a and press delete.

All of the above will be undone if you update the firmware, but you can repeat it again if you want.

ADD:

Cleanup:

find /DataVolume/shares -name "*.wdmc" -exec rm -rf {} \;

Hi rumamur,

What Fox_exe has written will delete all the wdmc directories from the Putty session. You can either do it this way or delete them from the file explorer as I wrote.