Oh no after a day of figuring out what to do, there is nothing at the link provided!

[object Object] AT THIS PAGE" My cloud won't sleep - #14 by Alastair_Gordon
THERE IS A ‘SOLUTION’ TO GET THE DRIVE TO SLEEP, HOWEVER, IT OFFERS INFO 100% DEPENDANT ON SOME LINK , THAT LEADS TO NOWHERE!

"So here is the variation on Banned’s excellent method to end disk thrashing adapted for the WD My Cloud. Remember, be VERY careful, as every keystroke counts and a mistake can lead to bigger problems.

Read Banned’s solution for the WD My Book Live (see link above).

Access your My Cloud via SSH as per Banned’s directions (it’s easier than you think).

From SSH, disable the processes that are thrashing the disk drive 24x7:

cd /usr/local/wdmcserver/bin

chmod 644 wdmcserver
chmod 644 wdphotodbmerger
chmod 644 convert"

so, i’m being told to be very careful of every keystroke and getting bad information at the same time, that is terrifying when ones career is on the line…
DOES ANYONE THINK ITS EVEN WORTH ITT TO LET WD REPLACE THE DRIVE, SAME THING WILL HAPPEN RIGHT//? IT WILL KILL ITSELF CONTINUALLY, NEVER SLEEP, AND WHEN i TRY 5 DAYS TO FIND A SOLUTION, THERE REALLY IS NONE,… EVEN THE SOLUTION DU JOUR LEADS TO NON INFORMATION AND DEAD LINKS,… THIS IS A NIGHTMARE I’M SORRY IF THAT SEEMS EXTREME BUT IT IS!!

you dont need the link as he clearly states the solution in the post…

So here is the variation on Banned’s excellent method to end disk thrashing adapted for the WD My Cloud.

This FAQ page used to be sticky, but , in their wisdom, WD decided not to make it sticky again after a recent forum replacement.

It contains what i’d suggest is the definitive guide to disabling the wdmcserverd etc functions:

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop
# to keep it from restarting after a reboot 
update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

That’s great but I’m stopped at the VERY FIRST SENTENCE,… “SSH to the device”
That means nothing to me, (though since I have asked here for HOURS how to “do this ssh thing” I should have gotten a simple answer how to do this strange cryptic thing…) The only place I have seen SSH says it will VOID MY WARRANTY IF I CLICK IT!)

this:
“/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop
to keep it from restarting after a reboot
update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable”

looks more cryptic than the MAYAN codex to me.

it seems to me that you dont want any help as it was provided to you numerous times and you simply continue to ramble about the worst device ever… maybe if you didnt start 10 other threads with 25 other questions… and maybe if you would stop changing your posts… you would actually take your time and go through the replies and do something… instead of making another thread…

Robert, can I suggest you take a break from this for a few hours. Go away and calm down; it will help you think more clearly. Then carefully and slowly read that FAQ page, and follow the link about how to login via SSH. You will need to install an SSH client; Google ‘PuTTY’, as suggested to you earlier. PuTTY will allow you to log in the the mycloud’s Linux command line, as I explained on the other thread.

Once you have logged in, enter those Mayan codes exactly as typed above. That’s what I meant about most help being in terms of Linux command line instructions; that’s what the Mayan codes are…

As for the warranty issue: again, read carefully: it says you may invalidate your warranty. Running those commands should not.

Are we trying to trick you? No.
Should you trust us? Your choice. But go look at the profiles of the people responding, and see how many posts they’ve made, and how many ‘likes’ they’ve been given. I’ve spent the last 90 minutes trying to help you. I do that for free, because I like trying to help people.

2 Likes

Look, Robert, the My Cloud is clearly not the product for you. You don’t have the tech skills to turn it into a functional device, and you don’t have the patience to learn.

2 Likes