How to Boot from a USB Stick DL2100

Hi everyone after reading what I could and tried everything I could. I am looking for help to restore my DL2100. I found a tut for pr4100 “How to Boot from a USB Stick”

([GUIDE] How to Boot from a USB Stick), but I was wondering anybody can help me restore my NAS dl2100.
the main issue after 3 years with a good run my NAS stopped working and the Blue LED is flashing slowly. 4 seconds and 40 seconds will not work.

Thanks for the tip. But could I try anything Else or try the USB Boot before I loose hope on this NAS. If so how do I recover my data. Should I make a Linux partition on my PC I don’t know really.

What about this stepping of the this processor?

vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 77
model name      : Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU  C2338  @ 1.74GHz
stepping        : 8
microcode       : 0x123
cpu MHz         : 1749.000
cache size      : 1024 KB
physical id     : 0
siblings        : 2
core id         : 0
cpu cores       : 2
apicid          : 0
initial apicid  : 0
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 11
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl xtopology nonstop_tsc aperfmperf pni pclmulqdq dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm sse4_1 sse4_2 movbe popcnt tsc_deadline_timer aes rdrand lahf_lm 3dnowprefetch ida arat epb dtherm tpr_shadow vnmi flexpriority ept vpid tsc_adjust smep erms
bogomips        : 3500.18
clflush size    : 64
cache_alignment : 64
address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
power management:

Is this stepping of the processor vulnarable?

Thanks I recovered my data.
Now if you believe it’s the CPU. Can I just change the motherboard or CPU. It’s possible, did anybody have done it before.How hard is it! But again how do I make sure it’s the CPU.

I thought replacing the CPU on NAS is like replacing it on a PC?
Other possibility, is to purchase another motherboard that can fit DL2100 and can install a free NAS. Anybody

FWIW, neither the DL2100 nor the DL4100 are susceptible to the Intel Atom issue, due to the fact that the affected pins (lpc_clk0, lpc_clk1) are not connected to anything in these designs.

The Sentinel DX4200 from which the DL4100 and DL2100 were derived, is vulnerable since those pins are connected and used in the design.

My understanding is that there is no way to determine whether a given chip is vulnerable, without removing the heatsink and physically examining the marking on the pkg substrate, since Intel didn’t bother to update any internal registers to indicate whether the chip is susceptible or not. I suppose that you could deduce it by examining the mfg date of the NAS itself. Anything prior to 2017, definitely is vulnerable… if the pins are being used.

I gleaned this fact when I removed the CPU from a DL2100 circuit board and noted that balls AG51 (lpc_clk0) and AM49 (lpc_clk1) had no traces connected to them.

Later when installing that CPU onto a DL4100 circuit board, I observed that it too, had no traces connected to those pins.

While it’s certainly possible to create a through hole via straight down from a solder ball pad into another layer, it was easy to see on this board, that was not done. That is, there was no drill hole in the middle of the ball pads for these 2 pins. It’s generally bad practice to do that, since solder wicking into the via, makes it hard to control the solder to ball contact. It is sometimes done on super dense layouts, but not here. In this design, every place a via was needed to another layer, there is a very short trace from the ball pad to the via.

Additionally, tdr measurement on the ball pads in question, showed no connect, as did simple diode mode test.

There is no connection to the lpc_clk0 or lpc_clk1 pins on this board design.