How to auto shutdown My Cloud when I shut down my PC?

Sometimes I forget to shutdown My Cloud before shutting down my PC.

Is it possible to set it up such that on activating the PC shutdown, it will also activate My Cloud shutdown?

Thanks.

Erm NAS shouldn’t work that way, usually left on 24/7 especially it will take a while to boot up.

If you really insist on this maybe you can setup a cron to monitor your pc say every 5mins, and if your pc goes unreachable within a specific period it will self shutdown? Or the other way round which is to setup schedule task on the pc, on logoff it will auto ssh to the NAS and issue a shutdown command.

Just my 2cents but note this is not supported by WD.

What Nazar78 says is correct. NAS/Clouds are meant to be “On or sleeping” 24/7.

I have mine sleeping (the 4TB cloud) when both my PC and Mac are off for the night.  I use to have my Mac sleep until I swapped my hard drive for a flash drive so I am almost getting the instant on effect anyways. 

My Cloud has been on continuously (sleep on and off) for almost a year and half. When I’m out, sometimes I use my Cloud app to access my Cloud at home to watch movies (at the gym), find another ebook to read, or to cache up some music.

A sleeping Cloud consumes only 5 watts per hour anyways; stated somewhere on the net about the Cloud specs. Also the boot up time for the Cloud is terrible, sometimes taking up to several hours (white light) for chkdsk if you improperly shut down the Cloud.

I can see no logical reason to have anything powered on that;s not being used that can be easily turned off.  No matter how little power it draws as it’s just a waste of money.

True. But if you don’t want a disk to be available when your computer is turned off, don’t buy a NAS, buy a big SATA drive and stick it in your PC, or buy a big USB drive. Both will be cheaper and much faster than a NAS.

If you absolutely need something to shutdown your cloud just as you are shutting down your PC… I found these two links for you… 

1. just test out the remote shutdown from this link.

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-ShareSpace/Remote-shutdown-with-SSH-please-help/td-p/162090

1. then create a script/batch file containing that one line and add the script to the shutdown 

http://lifehacker.com/use-group-policy-editor-to-run-scripts-when-shutting-do-980849001

or if you don’t have group policy editor then create your own shutdown script - called Myshutdown.bat - and do whatever you were going to do in your script which is to call the remote SSH shutdown and then at the end of it call shutdown /a. Then execute your bat file instead of the normal shutdown.

I hope this helps…

good luck…

Thanks to all for your suggestions - 24/7, batch file, etc.

On top of not wasting energy, I prefer to switch if off when not needed as the power supply here is not that good. Worry abour power spike (eg during lightning) damaging My Cloud. Am looking for a power surge protector.

Cheerio.

cpt_paranoia wrote:

True. But if you don’t want a disk to be available when your computer is turned off, don’t buy a NAS, buy a big SATA drive and stick it in your PC, or buy a big USB drive. Both will be cheaper and much faster than a NAS.

If nothing is going to access the NAS when your PC(s) are off, what is the reason to leave it on?  The NAS can be used in your network but do “all” networks have to be on 24/7 just because it’s called a network?

wptski wrote:> If nothing is going to access the NAS when your PC(s) are off, what is the reason to leave it on? 

I find that setting up automatic safepoint creation at a time when no computers will be active very beneficial.

PJPfeiffer wrote:

wptski wrote:> If nothing is going to access the NAS when your PC(s) are off, what is the reason to leave it on? 

I find that setting up automatic safepoint creation at a time when no computers will be active very beneficial.

You have a reason then.  Other than that, it’s a waste.

I do know some even turned off their router at night :stuck_out_tongue: It just up to individuals on how they use them. For me, the NAS is being shared remotely. It also act as an access point to all my local devices. That is I’ve setup a centralized web service on the NAS to manually wakeup each PC as required via webGUI to let me remote desktop (RDP) via secure tunnel while I’m away from home.

Nazar78 wrote:

I do know some even turned off their router at night :stuck_out_tongue: It just up to individuals on how they use them. For me, the NAS is being shared remotely. It also act as an access point to all my local devices. That is I’ve setup a centralized web service on the NAS to manually wakeup each PC as required via webGUI to let me remote desktop (RDP) via secure tunnel while I’m away from home.

Being critical of users that leave their devices powered all the time is a very touchy subject for some.  Users of one particular Android tablet said that they couldn’t wait for the 13 second boot up time so they never shut them off but use the sleep mode.  Those same users discovered cumulative memory loss over time because of an OS bug that didn’t clear a temp file.

wptski wrote:

Being critical of users that leave their devices powered all the time is a very touchy subject for some.  Users of one particular Android tablet said that they couldn’t wait for the 13 second boot up time so they never shut them off but use the sleep mode.  Those same users discovered cumulative memory loss over time because of an OS bug that didn’t clear a temp file.

Never heard of an OS bug that didn’t clear a temp file which resulted in cumulative memory loss. Temp files are created by the user/system apps and they are there to stay till someone clears them (cleaner apps?) or eventually the user does an uninstall (only affects those in data mount less likely internal/external sd mount).

Or do you mean Dalvik cache? The garbage collector is already quite efficient though there’s a known memory leak in Lollipop which has already been addressed.

Nazar78 wrote:

Never heard of an OS bug that didn’t clear a temp file which resulted in cumulative memory loss. Temp files are created by the user/system apps and they are there to stay till someone clears them (cleaner apps?) or eventually the user does an uninstall (only affects those in data mount less likely internal/external sd mount).

Or do you mean Dalvik cache? The garbage collector is already quite efficient though there’s a known memory leak in Lollipop which has already been addressed.

Could be Dalvik cache as I used temp file as a simple term, that was some time ago.  I haven’t follow that stuff and I’m on the same custom ROM for like two years.

Well what about the case where you want to automatically several different WD Cloud devices while you are out of the office and your UPS signals a loss of power? If you don’t return in time you could lose lots of data without a graceful shutdown! That is the solution I’m looking for.

This link was posted by Ralphael

If you search the site you will see different methods. Since the WD MyCloud single bay does not
have any way for the backup power to indicate that power is lost. You need to use your pc to detect the loss of power and tell the WD MyCloud to shutdown.

PS this method can be used to run any script.