[SOLVED] Question about MyCloud maintenance

Hi! My MyCloud NAS has been running well for over a year now. My question: how often should I turn the NAS off, by un-plugging it, and turning it back on? Is this something that should be done at all? Occasionally, I’ll lose remote access to the NAS, due to Internet connection issues, but eventually, the issues are resolved and remote access is restored.

Outside of that, the NAS never gets turned out (barring power outages).

If there’s no need to turn off the MyCloud NAS, is there anything else that should be done for proper maintenance of the NAS?

Thanks in advance!

@Tomdkat For me I either shut my WD My Clouds down and do a reboot or reboot them every week. So far I haven’t had any problems with them. I have a 1st and a 2nd generation. The 1st generation being around five years old now. I do this at a time when there is no activity being performed on the devices.

I also do this with all my devices on my network every week.

Hi! Thanks for the reply! When you reboot the NAS, do you login to the Dashboard and reboot it from there or do you just un-plug it and plug it back in?

@Tomdkat When I actually shutdown I use either the Dashboard or Quick View. Once the device has completed shutdown then I unplug, wait a minute, then plug it back in for the reboot. For just a reboot I do that from the Dashboard.

Awesome! Thanks for the info!

One can also use SSH to issue the shutdown command. This makes it easier than using the Dashboard or WD software. One can create, if using Windows for example, a batch file referencing plink (https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html) to issue the shutdown command or the reboot command. Use the forum search feature (magnifying glass icon upper right) to find the many past discussions covering using SSH to shutdown/reboot a My Cloud device.

One can also use an app on their mobile device to issue the shutdown or reboot command via SSH as well. On Android I use SSH Button.

Great! Thanks for the info! A mobile application isn’t an option for me but SSH could be. Being a Linux user, it should be fairly easy to get this setup. I’ll search the forum for more info on doing that.

Thanks again!