Proper shutdown

Hello,

I would like to ask how to properly shutdown this NAS. Unfortunately web interface does not offer shutdown. Currently the only way I know is not the best one - unconnect LAN and power.
The NAS does have SSH access. Is it safe to SSH into the NAS and issue “shutdown -h now” ?

My other question. When I first setup the NAS, I had offer to update. After the update, the web interface looked like it was factory reset - it again asked for basic setup. Now I am afraid of my files. What may I did wrong? How to avoid this disaster(loss of all files)?

Thanks for help,
Stanislav

See the OTHER posted discussion started by someone else earlier today where the exact same question was asked with respect to shutting down the v2.x firmware single bay My Cloud units.

https://community.wd.com/t/how-to-shutdown-mycloud-single-3tb/207642

Yes one can use SSH but the commands may be slightly different between the first generation v4.x My Cloud and the second generation v2.x My Cloud. Use the forum search feature and search for Shutdown to find the various prior discussions on how to use SSH to shut down a v2.x firmware My Cloud.

If one performs a 4 second reset or 40 second reset after a firmware upgrade they should not loose any use data. See the following WD Support Document for more information on what Dashboard settings/values are reset with a 4 second or 40 second reset.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

1 Like

Sorry for duplicate topic. Thanks for helping. I will look at the links you posted.

another who has found this distressing business of no shutdown facility, and here is W.D.'s latest response, I know it’s a bit late but has anyone got this sort of response or are willing to escalate this? I doubt this will ever be rectified but one may hope :wink:

Cheers
James

Thank you for your reply and for your remarks.

Your remarks have been escalated to our higher level of support and our engineering team and we will have it under consideration for our future products.

I am truly sorry to hear that you are left dissatisfied with your product and that it does not fit your needs. I will be more than happy to request a discount coupon for your next purchase from the WD Store, as we value you as our customer and your opinion does count. Please, do let me know if you wish to receive the 20% discount code for the WD Store.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further.

Sincerely,
Alex
Western Digital Service and Support

No surprise that WD refuses to fix one line of CSS, and offers a coupon for more WD merch instead.

(rolls eyes)

it is sad, I’m a former IT engineer and have worked directly with WD engineers many times in the past, those good people I’ve worked with would never have stood by without raising holy hell if they encountered this sort of engineering stupidity.

In my communications with WD I refused to give in and repeatedly replied and demanded proper resolution. While I doubt this will ever help due to the pigheadedness of WD, it made me feel better to just get to this point. I used many of the threads posted here since the option was removed to not only prove this is not just one whiney customer, but to show people are getting angry and returning product.