Help with Access My Cloud without using mycloud.com OR a fix to v4 software

Hi

I have a 3tb mycloud with a USB HDD plugged in for nightly safe point backups. The only way I could get the safe point to update was to downgrade to v3 firmware. This has been working great for a year or so, and still was. But I decided to upgrade to the latest v4 firmware to see if the problem had been fixed - it hasn’t so I’m back on v3.

Now I would like to use mycloud.com for remote access - but this doesn’t work with v3.

So my question is, does anyone have a solution to fix safepoints while keeping v4.

Or is there another way to set up remote access without using mycloud.com?

Thanks for any help.

What is the specific error that Safepoint is generating? See the Notification/Alert icon () in the Dashboard for various notifications/alerts/messages the Dashboard generates.

Is the v4.x firmware having trouble mounting the USB hard drive? Is the v4.x firmware appending a “_1”, “_2”, “_3”, etc. to the USB hard drive Share name when attached to the My Cloud? If so this is a previously discussed issue that can be worked around. See the following post for the workaround:

https://community.wd.com/t/new-release-firmware-release-04-04-02-105-1-27-2016/148441/69

I have no problems with Safepoint backups on a first gen My Cloud running the latest v4.x firmware.

Thanks Bennor

There doesn’t appear to be any issue with mounting the USB drive - it shows up in the mycloud dashboard and am able to read / write to it from the computer. The safepoint will update occasionally but more often fail at some point - I think it always starts to try.

This is the specific error from the email:

Following events are generated on your WDMyCloud .

Event title:There was an error updating your safepoint.

Event description:16 - There was an error updating your safepoint WDSafepoint on the WDDesktopHDD share on WDMyCloud.

Severity:warning

Event code:1102

Event time:04-12-2017 08:50:02 AM

Firmware version: 04.04.05-101

Thanks for the link, I’ll take a look but have to go to work now.

And annoyingly it’s just updated itself to v4 again - think I must have left auto update on after downgrading :confused:

There are a number of past discussions on the 1102 error code. They can be found using the forum search feature, magnifying glass icon upper right.

https://community.wd.com/search?q=1102%20category%3A105

Past suggestions include creating a new Safepoint from scratch or perform a 40 second reset (no user data is lost) then running the Safepoint again or perform the 40 second reset and create a new Safepoint backup.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=13986

@PHIL5556 Here is a link to the Event Codes.

LED Status, Alert Codes, Descriptions, and Email Notifications for WD My Cloud

I did a lot of playing about last year when it first didn’t work, resets, deleting safepoint etc but nothing worked. I’m reluctant to go through all that again unless something has changed.

I’ve put it all back as it was, V3 firmware back and safepoint has updated successfully.

Obviously mycloud.com access is now not working.

When I get a bit more time I’ll try going to v4 again and creating a new safepoint.

WDSync also broken now - is that another doesn’t work on v3 thing? Although tbh i don’t need it to work unless remote access is working.

You generally need to use the latest firmware (or at least the OS 3 firmware) on the first gen single bay My Cloud units to use the remote access features like MyCloud.com and the WD software. WD made the change over a year ago to OS 3 firmware.

I think there’s a mismatch between firmware and Sync software - it tells me I need to update the drive firmware. I guess I could find and install an earlier version of sync.

But now I’ve got a decent safepoint made I’m trying another update to v4. Once done I’ll set it off creating a new safepoint, rather than trying to update the one created with v3. If that works I’ll leave it on 4, if not I’m giving up and staying on v3.

Run out of enthusiasm. New safepoint wouldn’t complete on v4 firmware, rolled back to v3 and will just use Google Drive for anything I need remote access to. Bored of trying to get it to work.