Help Please | Recently Unable to Acess 2TB My Book Live

As of yesterday, I am unable to access my 2TB My Book Live. Nothing has changed, the green light is still on in the front of the device, the network card lights are green and blinking, and I can hear the hard drive “thinking.”

My Nighthawk R7900P router no longer shows the WD in “attached devices.” I have tried powercycling all devices (Modem, router, and WD live) and resetting the device by holding down the reset button for 20 seconds which didn’t seem to do anything and I also held it down and then unplugged the WD which also didn’t seem to do anything. I also tried a different Ethernet cable and different ports on the router; none of which worked.

I run windows 10 on 2 computers and windows 7 on another computer and all are having the same issue. My wife is freaking out because all of our pictures and videos are on there. Frustrating thing is, is that I was just looking into getting a replacement. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Hi truesoul,

You should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this for live assistance and troubleshooting

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

The link below will allow you to call support

Create a Support Case
Create a support case with our world-class service and support team.

Nothing is more aggravating than posting a question (after first consulting the OEM support site, then searching existing community threads, of course) and getting the response above.

I have an R7900 as well and the My Cloud Home NAS, I had something similar happen during the initial setup. My Cloud has 3 levels of reset options, and I resolved my issue with a full restore of the NAS after trying the first 2 reset options (1 is just a reboot, the other changes ownership) which you may be trying to avoid, but I figured I’d throw it out there.
The more relevant bit is that during the very first attempt at the setup I could see the NAS as an attached device in the router settings but couldn’t make changes to the name, IP, QoS priority, etc. Then I couldn’t see it at all. After the full reset everything became functional so I setup a static IP address, port forwarding etc.
Hopefully this is of some use, good luck!

I’m not sure what is so bad about that response (other than the self aggrandizing “our world-class service and support team”). Even if some useful information comes from the forum, the WD support team should be told about this problem. And they may have a suggestion short of the full factory restore (which takes many hours and erases user data).