Help needed: My Cloud EX2 Ultra: solid red light at both disks

Any help will be much welcome, I have just boiugh a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra and inserted two WD disks (6TB each) according to the users mannual ()pg.11 and 12) after connectiong the device to the network and to the power the device started the initial power up (power led was blicking) while the two drive led lights were blue. After start-up has finished and the lrd light become solid blue the drive led lights become solid red. The two drives are newly bought from the store with the My Cloud EX2 Ultra today. \

Any insight/help is mucyh appriciated, I also oppened an official support case.

You need to configure the disks now.

Launch the Dashboard (page 31); in my case I went to my router and found the IP address of the EX2 Ultra, but the instructions on page 31 show multiple ways of connecting to the dashboard.

Then on page 56 of the manual, under the heading ‘Managing Storage on My Cloud EX2 Ultra’, you need to configure the drives RAID type as either JBOD, spanning, RAID 0, RAID 1.

Configure your disks and your LEDs should turn blue after the configuration is complete.

Set up your shares and users and configure/turn off addons as needed.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the reply! so the solid red light at the disks leds before configuring them is ok?

Regarding the steps, I have tried to launch the dashboard via the ip found from the dhcp from the router and also from the http://MyCloudEX2Ultra and nothing works…

The computer (connected to the same network with NAS) sees that there is the network device “mycloudex2ultra” (as in pg. 31 of the instructions manual) but in order to connect to the NAS it is asking username and password, I tried with admin and also leaving blank the password field etc but does not work… As per instructions when right clinking on the NAS icon I should be possible to have the option “View device webpage” from the resulting menu this not the case here…

Any more ideas please?

If nothing works, what does your web browser report when you try to log into via the IP address?
Sounds like there possibly was a previous configuration … is this an open box, previously used, “acquired” item?

I would try the 40 second reset and then obtain the IP address from the router and log in to the unit via the IP address (since there is no data on the drives and it sounds like there is possibly a previous configuration on the unit, the 40 second reset would reset the unit completely back to defaults).

Please Note WD: the reset protocols ARE NOT in the manual and this information below was obtained online. This information needs to be in the manual.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=13979

Dear thegooddoctor,

first thank you very much for the time spent and the help you are providing to me. One of the things I have triued was to reset the configuration via the button (not the full one 40sec) and did not worked.

So I decided to send it back to the local shop support department today (shops here are open today due to Xmas period) and they manage to configure it! I do not know the details since the employee who did this has bee already left when I wnet back today afternoon in order to pick up the box. They said that they will revert to me on the 27th in order to learn the details of the set up.

thanks a lot for the suppport

Being a newbie is tough. And i’m another dad having drowned on a spoon of water. That was it, spot on dear thegooddoctor and i don’t have words to thank you. Million thanks for the solution.