.HEIF extension iOS11 not supported

App does not support .HEIF photos and needs to be updated for IOS11! Renders the photo upload useless been as all photos now are .HEIF extensions in iOS11… Also videos will not show up due to them been encoded different please can someone update the software to support this…

Thanks

Can anyone shed any light on his?

Apple have adopted a new image format. I confess that, although I have worked in image processing systems in the past, it is a format that was new to me.

That format is not yet on the list of recognised image formats in the app.

Therefore, the app does not back those files up.

I’m afraid you’ll have to wait for WD to update the app to add .HEIC to the list of recognised files.

In the mean time, can you not tell your iThing to save in a recognised format (JPEG)?

WD isn’t the only company to be caught out:

If you want WD to do something about it, you’ll have to contact their Support, or post on the Cloud Ideas forum; we’re users, and can’t modify the software…

Hi, thank you for your reply and I know but I also know some staff do have interactions with users on here so thought this would be the first port of call but I’ll forward this to the support team who hopefully pass it onto the software engineers :blush: I guess it’s a inconvenience as for now but I’m sure they may be aware and working to implement a “fix” I guess, I hope lol for users wanting a workaround for the time been on IOS11 you can disable HEIF from settings > camera > formats, and chose most compatible, this will not use HEIF as standard and only use JPEG / H.264…

Update: have forwarded a email to the support team hopefully they will look to implement something shortly.

Good luck with that; it’s not an approach that has worked well in the past… WD work at their own timescales, and don’t seem to care about feedback from users.

Sadly I’ve noticed that from a issue I was having before, and with some posts on here that I’ve seen regarding the support - not good! I think when I look to upgrade I’ll be moving away from WD to a company that cares about its users :thinking:

Thought I’d comment, if it helps. I have noticed that the app does back up the files. I have done it on my iphone 7 a few minutes ago. Although the app does not recognize the file when you try open it, it is however possible to download it back to your phone/ipad from your cloud drive and save it back to the phone. It can then be visible in your camera roll.
Not that that is useful but it does show that the file is saved intact on your cloud drive and can be read at a later date. So when and if WD do fix the app to be able to view the HEIC files they are save-able.

Frankly speaking, HEIC is a new image format that is only compatible well with iOS 11 as well as macOS High Sierra. I also don’t know other operating systems that can support it. If you don’t like this format, you can go to your iPhone camera settings to set “Most Compatible”, JPG, as your output format. Moreover, if you already have possessed lots of HEIC images on your album, you can learn How to Easily Convert HEIC to JPG.

Hello I have same issue when I upload pics from apple device to MyCloud duo, could you have some compabilty to heic format?

Excuse me but Google drive and photos support the new format… you need to get your facts straight.

This is the solution for compatibility according to APPLE. Follow the directions carefully, it requires careful reading. Works for me!