.HEIF workaround for iOS11 until WD updates app!

For users who are noticing in iOS11 that you cannot upload the .HEIF format / there are missing pictures in the photo section there is a workaround in iOS11until WD gets the chance to update the app, the workaround for the time been is that you can disable HEIF from settings > camera > formats, and chose “most compatible” this will not use HEIF as standard and only use JPEG / H.264…

Hope this helps some people having the same issue I was :blush:

Defeats space saving issue. Best to open photo, share to WD app. It will be exported as JPEG

That also defeats the object of the app auto uploading the photos for you, but I see what your saying… most won’t care as once the photos are uploaded they will be deleted from the device anyway… I’m sure many people won’t be too fussed either as it’s a brand new feature on IOS… Until they support this on the current WD app like they have for the My Cloud Home app unfortunately there’s no gain without a loss at the moment I’m afraid.

So they now support this format on the Home app? Does the app show the new format or just change its format?

Sorry I don’t know if I made it clear enough this is for the My Cloud “Home” (new My Cloud App) not the old one, this is what WD support told me;

The migration of .HEIF image to the .JPG photo format is supported to allow the thumbnail generation of the .JPG image

•Both HEIC.JPG image and the .HEIF file can be seen in the Mobile and Web App

•The migration of the .HEIF image cannot occur if the .HEIF image is not present in the mobile phone’s camera roll

However, The HEVC video format is currently not supported by the My Cloud Home Client apps at this time.

So does it mean you have to keep the .HEIC photo on your iPhone for it to show the thumbnail? Wow that’s terrible if true.

I guess it could mean that or that if you go to take the image say from else where other than the phone then it can’t migrate the HEIF image? Strange either way I guess :thinking: