German localization

the German localization is very strange,

its terrible that a big company like WD uses Translation software that makes so bad Translations.

in “German mode”

The “options” in “playmode” are in france, other menu tabs are Mixed German/English

In settigs there are strange things like

Translation of 8bit / 12bit into

“8 bisschen / 12 bisschen” (what means 8 littlebit / 12 littlebit … haha)

Firmware update message

Bitte entfernen sie nicht die “Macht”

(means , please dont remove the might)

5 Likes

Actually, WD does all it’s localization translations with human translators.  Can you please send me screen captures so I can see where this is happening and then pass it along?

1 Like

I think the german translation is done  with google language tools or something else. The translation is very bad. Tomorrow i make a few screen captures with the wrong translations

ok i search for some strong translation fails :wink:

english “No station available!”
german “Es ist kein Radio”

but this means (this is no Radio)  better is “Keine Radiostation verfügbar

english “Firmware is being updated. Please DO NOT disconnect power.”
german “Firmware aktualisiert wird.Bitte Bitte nicht trennen Macht.”

means (Firmware update is, Please Please not disconnect might) HAHA

Better is " Firmware wird aktualisiert, bitte trennen sie nicht die Stromversorgung"

english “Downloading new firmware for your WD TV. Please DO NOT disconnect power or internet connection.”
german "Herunterladen neuer Firmware für Ihr WD TV.Bitte trennen Sie nicht Macht oder Internet-Verbindung.

better is " Neue Firmware für dein WD TV wird heruntergeladen. Bitte trenne nicht die Stromversorgung oder die Internet Verbindung"

english “Component”
german  “Bauelemente”

Component device cannot translatet like this.

better is “Komponenten Anschluss” or use the english name.

english “8 bit”
german"8 bisschen"

english “10 bit”
german “10 bisschen”

english “12 bit”
german “12 bisschen”

“bisschen” means “littlebit” ,

“bit” cannot be translatet

english “New firmware download failed due to network connection error. Please check your network connection and try again.”
german “Neue Firmware-Download scheiterte Netzwerkverbindung Fehler.versuchen Sie es dann erneut.”

better is,

“Download der Firmware fehlgeschlagen. Netzwerk Verbindungsfehler. Bitte versuchen sie es erneut.”

english “A fatal system error is detected. The device will restart…”
german “Ein fataler Systemfehler erkannt wird. Der Gerät wird nun neu gestartet…”

better is " Ein Systemfehler wurde erkannt. Das Gerät wird nun neu gestartet…"

english “Info bar”

german “Barre d’informations”

thats not german, thats some other language (i thing french)

better is “Infoleiste”

there are many more bad translations in that firmware.

1 Like

Bill_S wrote:

Actually, WD does all it’s localization translations with human translators.  […]

Hm…I’d like to meet that “human translator” who is responsible for that awful german translation…

I guess I better not switch to german when talking to him :slight_smile:

Regards,

wonderl

3 Likes

Ich bin mal gespannt ob WD die Verbesserungen in die nächste Firmwareversion übernimmt. Die Übersetzung haben die ja jetzt schon kostenlos erhalten.

Ubuntux wrote:

Die Übersetzung haben die ja jetzt schon kostenlos erhalten.

WD is apparently not able to make a reasonable translation. So we have to help them out. Be forgiving. Skilled employees are expensive and such a small company like WD probably can’t afford it.
(Whoever finds irony may keep it.)

i have two more suggestions for the translation for the top bar when a movie is playing:

english: “Zoom in”

now in german: “Zoomen”

my suggest: “Vergrößern”

english: “Zoom out”

now in german: “aufziehen”

my suggest: “Verkleinern”

Yes, the German translations are hilarious and it is plain to see that the translator was looking up words without understanding their meaning, i.e… translating “Power” as in “Political Power” (Macht) and not as in “Electrical Power” (Energie/Netzstrom). An “bisschen” is indeed the correct translation for “bit” as in “little bit”, but not for bit as in byte. It really made me laugh when I read those. :smileyvery-happy: The French parts are also amusing.

However, once should be cautious  with the posted translations above: 

They are very long, and I believe that the WD TV Live simply cuts off long sentences. So maybe “Kein Radio verfügbar” would be better than “Keine Radiostationen verfügbrar”, etc. Although I am not sure how to shorten most other ones in a meaningful way.

Maybe “Neue Firmware wird heruntergeladen. Bitte Strom- und Internetverbindung NICHT trennen!” for

the english “Downloading new firmware for your WD TV. Please DO NOT disconnect power or internet connection.” might be a little bit shorter than the above proposed?

If you were willing to send me a plain text or Excel file with the text mappings, I’d be glad to help you out there. I don’t want money for it, just my parents - who use the device - to be able to understand what’s going on there.

The GUI of the original WD TV wasn’t as bad but had some embarassing errors as well. I was contacted by Mark something of WD who said he would send me the language file only to admit a couple of weeks later, he wasn’t able to make the developer guys send it to him first.

In the meantime b-rad.cc had already contacted me and sent me the file by himself implementing my corrected version in his firmware the next day. I also mailed it to WD but they still haven’t bothered to replace it in their original firmware.

However, since I’d already corrected 1.01.24 for myself and for b-rad.cc to include again in his modded firmware, I’ve upped it at over at AVS Forums. Maybe WD will pick up on it. In any case, if you find any errors please pm me.

I’m assuming that this has to do with German translation in some of the menus.  In any case, I have passed this along.

1 Like

Actually, WD does all it’s localization translations with human translators.

Well, if you say so but how about using someone actually capable of speaking german? I mean, I’m no native english speaker so I’m sure to come up with my fair share of errors. OTOH I’m not doing UIs for a global company, you know? Obviously your translator has no clue of the german language. Even english comes with a few oversights:

msgid “Are you sure you want to chage the video setting?”
msgid “Photo can not be access”

These would easily be detected using Word’s spell-checking routines. And what about consistency? I’ve found three different notations of the device name, what’s it gonna be?

WD TV
WDTV
WD-TV

There’s a lot of german sentences missing a verb:

msgid “Are you sure you want to sign out?”
msgstr “Möchten Sie die Zeichen aus?”

msgid “Save username only”
msgstr “Nur Serverbenutzername”

msgid “Include HD video feeds”
msgstr “Fügen Sie HD-Video-Feeds”

msgid “This video is restricted by the video content owner and it is not available on TV connected devices.”
msgstr “Dieses Video wird von der Video-Content-Eigentümer beschränkt und es ist nicht auf Fernseher angeschlossenen Geräten.”

msgid “Check for new update”
msgstr “Prüfen Sie, ob neue Update”

msgid “If you don’t have an Live365 account, please visit http://www.live365.com to get started with your membership or become a VIP.”
msgstr “Wenn Sie noch kein Konto Live365, besuchen Sie bitte die http://www.live365.com/wdtv, um mit Ihrer Mitgliedschaft oder zu einer VIP.”

msgid “The device fails to check for new firmware update. Please check your network connection and try again.”
msgstr “Device Check neue Firmware nicht.Prüfen Sie Ihre Einstellungen und versuchen Sie es erneut.”

msgid “Add to My Presets”
msgstr “Zu meinen Presets”

msgid “Error: The source folder and destination folder are the same.”
msgstr “Fehler: Die Quelle und Ziel-Ordner Ordner sind die gleichen.”

msgid “No station available!”
msgstr “Es ist kein Radio”

msgid “New firmware download failed due to network connection error. Please check your network connection and try again.”
msgstr “Neue Firmware-Download scheiterte Netzwerkverbindung Fehler.versuchen Sie es dann erneut.”

msgid “The auto play content could not be accessed.”
msgstr “Automatische Wiedergabe Inhalt konnte nicht zugegriffen werden.”

Then there’s messed up grammar/syntax:

msgid “Would you like to permanently delete the selected file?”
msgstr “Möchten Sie dauerhaft löschen Sie die ausgewählte Datei?”

msgid “HDMI compatible mode”
msgstr “HDMI-kompatiblen Modus”

msgid “Are you sure you want to delete all accounts?”
msgstr “Möchten Sie dieses alle Konto wirklich löschen?”

msgid “Are you sure you want to change the HDMI deep color?”
msgstr “Sind Sie sicher, dass Sie die HDMI deep Color-Modus zu ändern?”

msgid “Are you sure you want to delete this item?”
msgstr “Löschen Sie dieses Artikels?”

msgid “Are you sure you want to delete all items?”
msgstr “Löschen Sie alle Elemente?”

msgid “A fatal system error is detected. The device will restart…”
msgstr “Ein fataler Systemfehler erkannt wird. Der Gerät wird nun neu gestartet…”

msgid “New firmware download failed due to incomplete firmware download. Please check your network connection and try again.”
msgstr “Neue Firmware download failed aufgrund unvollständiger Firmware-Download.versuchen Sie es dann erneut.”

And of course really hilarious translations, completely out of context:

msgid “Security Type”
msgstr “Wertpapierart”

msgid “Firmware is being updated. Please DO NOT disconnect power.”
msgstr “Firmware aktualisiert wird.Bitte Bitte nicht trennen Macht.”

msgid “8 bit”
msgstr “8 bisschen”

msgid “Component”
msgstr “Bauelemente”

msgid “Delete one”
msgstr “Löschen Sie einen”

msgid “Yes to all”
msgstr “Ja, auf alle”

msgid “Back”
msgstr “Nächstes”

In any case, I have passed this along.

Well, let them load the original and my corrected file into Winmerge and see for themselves. I think having a native speaker look over the final draft would be a good idea.

ByteFax wrote:

the German localization is very strange,

It’s really one of the worst localizations in a hardware device I’ve ever seen.

After a day or two I switched back to English.

Apparently WD’s human translators also messed up the russian and italian localizations.

I’d be willing to provide a perfect german translation. Just send me the language file.

BTW: both the original translator’s technical and german knowledge are total rubbish. Translating “bit” into “bisschen” is like translating “Bill Gates” into “Willi Tore”. :smileyvery-happy:

manu26 wrote:

I’d be willing to provide a perfect german translation.

Already done.

wdtvforum.com seems to be down for me right now…but thanks anyway…

so i hope that they’ll include the translation in the next firmware update.

The wdtvforum is only overloaded the most of time. You only have to try it a little bit later.

By the way: The latest translation corrections of Techflaws are pretty good and should be integrated in the next official firmware.

cu Mike (<- native German speaker).

MikeTNT wrote:

The latest translation corrections of Techflaws are pretty good and should be integrated in the next official firmware.

No such luck. Apparently the same team is on the loose and the resolved issue

Corrected several language translations issues

listed in the release notes does not apply to the german localization. At least that’s my impression, given the fact that  none of the errors complained about above in this thread is fixed. In fact, some of the new entries are equally hilarious:

msgid “This video is restricted by the video content owner and it is not available on TV connected devices.”
msgstr “Dieses Video wird von der Video-Content-Eigentümer beschränkt und es ist nicht auf Fernseher angeschlossenen Geräten.”

msgid “Search History”
msgstr “Suche Geschichte”

msgid “Try to wake up system…”
msgstr “Versuchen Sie, Weckfunktion …”

Disappointing to see this from a global player.

1 Like