G-Speed Studio XL won't mount

I powered down the computer that my G-Speed Studio was connected to on Saturday, and this morning I confirmed that all LEDs were off on the studio and then disconnected it and moved it across the office to connect to another machine. Except now the machine won’t mount the G-Speed, and the G-Speed has all Blue LEDs lit, and the G logo is flashing. What’s going on?

I also can’t get the G Speed Studio Utility to launch. The icon appears in the dock (I’m running OS X), but the maintenance window doesn’t appear. Any guidance would be extremely appreciated.

I moved it back to the other machine and it loaded immediately, no issues at all.

It occurred to me that the UPS that I connected it to might not have been able to supply enough power in addition to all of the other gear that was connected. Does that sound like a likely issue? Or is that second machine to blame?

It is possible, but the most important thing to look for with Thunderbolt equipped drives is that the power alone isn’t going to turn the drive on all the way. It needs to have an active data connection to the computer as well. Meaning the computer needs to be on and the Thunderbolt cable needs to be attached.

All connections were in place, computer powered on, and the RAID was directly connected to the computer, not even at the end of a thunderbolt daisy-chain. I didn’t have time to recreate the scenario with power load, but I was able to later connect the RAID to the machine that wouldn’t mount before. I simply connected it to a different UPS with less load and it mounted just fine.

Looks like you’re staff—do you mind contacting your engineers to see if they’ve run into any issues like this before? I’ve seen similar behavior with bus powered drive that weren’t receiving enough power (even though the g-speed studio xl is just a LITTLE different than a bus powered drive :-D)

If you want power draw #s I have those for you:

Operating 136 W
Idle 91 W

So if your UPS was under-performing you can use that as a guide.