G-Speed Studio XL now working with my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro Monterey

There are a few postings on this forum about G-Speed Studios not working (i.e., won’t show up in Finder) on 2021 MacBook Pro M1s running Monterey. I had that issue with my devices.

I found a workaround and I am now able to access my G-Speed Studio XL 24TB on my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro running Monterey.

Basically, you have to:

(1) download the Promise Pegasus2 driver (R_MacDrv_V6_2_16)

AND

(2) Change the security settings on the 2021 MacBook Pro startup disk to Reduced Security, “Allow user management of kernel extensions from identified developers”

After performing both of these steps, which included a reboot or two, I plugged the TB2 cable from my G-Speed Studio XL into the TB2/TB3 adapter dongle and plugged that into my 2021 MacBook Pro. In about 30 seconds (maybe less), the G-Speed Studio XL appeared in Finder and I was able to access all the files. Note: I did find the Blackmagic Disk Speed to be slower (but still workable, in my case).

Links provided to respective files and documentation below:

Note: For the Promise Pegasus2 driver (after accessing the link/page), scroll down to the “Compatibility” section and under Models, download the Pegasus2 Series driver. Install the downloaded package on your 2021 MacBook Pro.

macOS Big Sur Support - Promise Pegasus Compatibility List

Change security settings on the startup disk of a Mac with Apple silicon

3 Likes

I have tried this with no success. That was essentially the same steps I took to get the SSD Shuttles to work with the M1 iMac when it came out, but no luck with any of my machines (M1 13 MBP, M1 mini, M1 iMac, M1 16 MBP) all running Monterey.

Welshofer, really sorry to hear this isn’t working for you - it is very frustrating.

Maybe we can compare our system settings and possibly see a difference which might point out a fix for you?

Happy to give it a try, if you’d like.

For example, when I review my System Report, Controller, I see:

Boot Policy:
Secure Boot: Reduced Security
System Integrity Protection: Enabled
Signed System Volume: Enabled

Thunderbolt/USB4:
G-SPEED Studio XL

I’m not thinking these are the only parameters to check. Just thinking out loud on parameters to compare, possibly.

In any case, best of luck to you - I do hope you get this resolved quickly/soon.

Hello @Alright4here , thanks for the tip, I also was able to make my G-Speed Studio 12TB to work on my new MacBook Pro 14’ Max processor and Monterrey with your instructions, just one reboot and all was working without problems after. Thank you.

I hope WD provide a final driver for G-Speed Studio, worry about loosing data

@Alright4here you’re my hero!
This workaround method saved my entire archive and finally let me get back to work after 2 months of messing around. For anyone else, this was my scenario.

Could not mount:
SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD 4TB
or
G-SPEED Shuttle XL TB3
on Mac mini (M1, 2020)
or
iMac (i9, 2019)

Problems started with macOS Monterey and continued after updating to macOS Big Sur.
I was originally plugged into an OWC Thunderbolt 3 Dock and thought it might be an issue of not enough power through the Dock but the drives would not load when plugged directly into the computers either.
Finder wouldn’t find the external hard drive. Disk Utility options did nothing to help.

First tried installing Dock Ejector from OWC
*For Mac — Includes USB charge support driver. Probably a good idea to install every time on any computer using an OWC Dock but I’d had mine for so long I forgot about it when I upgraded from the old garbage can mac. Anyways, Dock Ejector didn’t solve the unmountable drive issue, but at least I’m ejecting other hard drives faster (and safer?) now without spinning the wheel of death.

Downloaded the PROMISE Pegasus2 Series Driver and used their very easy to follow installation guide (changing the System Extensions / Boot Policy / Security settings) as instructed.

BINGO! Everything works.

So I’ve used the Promise drivers and managed to get my drives to show up for a few hours to minutes each. Usually they end up un-mounting themselves, sometimes they just lock up the Mac. One of them no longer mounts at all.

I’d like Western digital to send me a pair of 32TB SSDs formatted in exFat (their suggestion) so I can attempt to copy my information off these dodgy drives. Otherwise I’d like a complete refund. This nonsense has gone on long enough. Close $20K worth of drives that are completely useless.

I’ve contacted Apple support and former colleagues there (I just left Apple last year after 26 years in product management) and neither set of folks are aware of a pending fix coming from Apple.

I have no functional driver from Western Digital, no functioning Drive Utility, and no path to making these things useful.

I’d like a response from Western Digital.

1 Like

I am in this camp. I have a new MacBook Pro with M1 Max running Monterey. I have a G Speed Studio XL 24TB array that previously was used on a 2013 Mac Pro. I now need to use it on this Mac Book but it will not appear in finder. I have performed every possible suggestion given on this forum and others I’ve found, and nothing works. Can someone please help!!???!

1 Like

One more tidbit. After performing the steps outlined above, I found that I additionally needed to install the Pegasus32 Series USB Filter Driver, which is available from Support - Download Center | PROMISE Technology

After this, my G-RAID SHUTTLE 4 from SanDisk Professional now appears on my MacBook Pro (13-inch, M1, 2020) running macOS Monterey Version 12.2.1.

any updates if it works now?

You are a star. Thank you for this solution - worked for me and I can now access Tb of necessary files :star:

I know this is an old post, but I have a Mac mini 2023 M2, and I have a G-Speed Studio XL Raid which is connected through a adapter from Thunderbolt 1 to Thunderbolt 2/3(USB-C).

These steps got the drive to actually show up in finder, which is more then I was getting. The issue now is that when I go to open the drive in finder the screen flashes hot pink, and restarts the computer.

The Hard Drive still works on MacBook Pro 2013, but I need to get it connected to my new Mac mini for easier/faster transfer of data. I will most likely get a new hard drive, but still need to be able to access the data to transfer it. Anyone else having issues like this, and hopefully found solutions?

I went to this site and downloaded and installed the first one “Pegasus2 Series”. I’ve downloaded the other ones, but they all seem to be the same file name “R_MacDrv_V6_2_16”. I could try and installing the others, but as mentioned they all seem the same, so I don’t want to keep trying different ones in fear of damaging the drive. In the compatibility list nothing seems to have anything newer then 2020, and nothing mentions my computer or the M2 chip.
https://www.promise.com/Promotion/Apple_masOS_Big_Sur_M1

I’ve also installed the “Pegasus32 Series USB Filter Driver”, but that did not seem to make any difference. Still get the hot pink screen flash and computer restarting.

The pink screen is not something I have experienced, but it is typically a graphics or hardware problem. Here are some generic fixes for pink screen problems that might help: Proven Ways Fix Mac/MacBook Pink Screen (Work for M1 Mac)

Could it be an issue of the computer or drives overheating or drawing too much power when you open the folder on Finder? I’ve definitely had these drives and connected MacPro shutdown in a room that had unstable power and insufficient ventilation (neither of which generate helpful error messages or crash reports).

Hi Eric,

I don’t frequent this forum very much but noticed your request via an email alert. Have you thought about the old Target drive option? Connect the Studio to your MBP 2013, then connect the MBP 2013 to your Mac mini and transfer the files you want/need. Not an elegant solution but might be the easiest to implement.

Transfer files between a Mac with Apple silicon and another Mac

The computer is brand new, and it only happens when I try and open the drive, so maybe I’m misunderstanding your response, but I think it’s connected to the drive and drivers.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I’ve tried connecting to my wife’s MacBook Pro through the network, and was able to get it to mount that way, but it was incredibly slow. It also had a lot of issues with permissions and ownership which would not allow me to transfer files through the network.

I got the new Mac because my iMac stopped working. I was not able to use the migration assistant even with the iMac in Target Disk Mode because the computer never showed up in the list of options.

I’ve not tried using the old Mac as a target disk mode to daisy chain through the iMac. I can try it. I have them hooked up now, but I’m not seeing the drive show up through the iMac in Target Disk mode. Is there anything special I need to do to get access to the drive through the iMac while it’s in Target Disk Mode?

Eric, do you still have your MacBook?

If so, connect the G-Speed to the MacBook.

Test to ensure you can access the files on the G-Speed from your MacBook.

While the G-Speed is connected to you MacBook, connect the MacBook to your new M2 computer via the instructions in the reply/link I posted.

You should be able to access the files on the G-Speed from the M2 in that setup.

Best,
Scott

Eric,

Can you tell me what macs you have? (model/year and osX version on each).

I’ll pull out my old trusty 2012 macbook pro and connect my G-Speed up to it and then target disk to my M1 macbook pro - just to confirm what you might be seeing.

Scott

Eric,

I was able to do the following:

G-Speed → TB2 cable → MacbookPro 2012 (Catalina 10.15.7) → TB2 cable → TB2 to TB3 Adapter → M1 MacbookPro (Sonoma 14.1)

After everything was connected (via TB2 cables and the TB2 to TB3 adapter) on my M1 Macbook, I used Finder, Locations “Network” and saw my 2012 MacbookPro in the list, clicked on that and was requested for the ID & password on my 2012 MBP. Entered that ID & PW and I was able to access all the files on my G-Speed in Finder on my M1 MBP.

Does that help?

Scott

Thank you for your help. Since my iMac is no longer working the only ones I have is the new Mac mini M2 2023 running Sonoma, and my wife’s MacBook Pro 13" 2013 Intel running Monterey OS.

I think my bigger limitation with what you mentioned would be the cables.

I’m able to connect the Hard Drive into the MacBook Pro and get it to appear and have access to it through the Thunderbolt 1 cable. I don’t have any wires to connect the MacBook to the Mac mini.
I would need to get another Thunderbolt 1 cable and then use my Thunderbolt 1 to USB Type C adapter.

Another option might be USB Type A to Type A, but I don’t believe I have one of those cords either.

OK, I found a USB Type A to Thunderbolt 3 cable. I get a new drive tomorrow, so maybe what I can try is the following. I’m also limited by the 2 Thunderbolt ports on the back of my Mac mini… should have got the Pro.

G-Speed → TB2 cable → MacbookPro 2013 (Monterey) → USB type A to TB 3 cable → New Hard Drive → Thunderbolt 3 Cable → Mac mini M2 (Sonoma 14.1).

Wonder if that would work? I might also try.
G-Speed → TB2 cable → TB2 to Thunderbolt adapter → New Hard Drive → Thunderbolt 3 Cable → Mac mini M2 (Sonoma 14.1).