G-Speed Studio XL now working with my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 Pro Monterey

Eric,

While I can’t promise my solution, which worked on my macs, will work for you - it might be worth ordering the extra TB2 cable from Amazon (assuming you already have the TB2 to TB3 adapter). If the setup doesn’t work, you could always return the cable to Amazon.

Here is the TB2 cable I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Thunderbolt-cable-2-0-m/dp/B00YHUBV6Q/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=409963766858&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9027601&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=11536571515149802769&hvtargid=kwd-63768092808&hydadcr=18009_11397339&keywords=thunderbolt+2+cable&qid=1698699400&sr=8-3

and this is the TB2 to TB3 adapter I have:

https://www.amazon.com/Apple-Thunderbolt-USB-C-Adapter/dp/B01MQ26QIY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1U9L33A5SKIZL&keywords=thunderbolt+2+cable+to+thunderbolt+3+adapter&qid=1698699518&sprefix=thunderbolt+2+cable+to+thunderbolt+3+adapte%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-3

The speed of accessing the file was fast.

Scott

1 Like

Eric,

Two Thunderbolt ports on your mini should be sufficient, but It probably will have to be connected in this sequence to work:

G-Speed → TB2 cable → Macbook Pro 2013 (Monterey) → TB2 cable → TB2 to TB3 adapter → Mac mini M2 (Sonoma 14.1) → TB3 cable → New Hard Drive

If you use a USB Type A to TB3 cable, it will be very, very slow. I’m not aware of a USB Type A to TB3 cable – do you have a link to it (and I’ll check it out).

Scott

The USB Type A to TB3 cable came with the 4TB Samsung SSD T7 Shield as another option to connect to computer. It also came with a TB3 cable which I’m using to connect it. I’m going to be using this drive as a Time Machine Backup. The other 16 TB drive I got is to replace the old 24 TB RAID.

I should get the new drive tomorrow, and I can test all this out. If none of what I’m trying works I’ll look into getting the TB2 cable.

I have the same TB2 to TB3 adapter, but I thought it was TB1, but it looks like the TB2 also has the older plug.

Eric,

Right - TB1 and TB2 used the same connectors. TB3 introduced the usb-c type connector.

Good luck.

Scott

Connecting through USB or the Thunderbolt 2 cable does not seem to make a difference. It seems to be going through my wifi when you connect through “Network”.

When I tried connecting old RAID to my Mac mini by daisy chaining the old RAID to the new one it crashed the machine the same as if I directly connected the RAID to my new Mac.

Currently 3 TB will take 20 days. I also have another 3 TB folder after this one.

Anyway to force the connection through the Thunderbolt connection instead of the Network? The new drive did not show up on the desktop on its own when I connected it to the MacBook Pro 2013. It does not appear until I connected through the network.

The new drive is also a RAID 16 TB SSD with 4x4 TB SSD. I’m assuming it’s because I don’t have the raid software on the MacBook Pro. Even after installing it on the MacBook it does not show up. Is it because it’s already connected to another Mac?

Eric,

Suggest testing each step of the connection(s) separately - to ensure all components work.

Turn off Wi-Fi (and unplug Ethernet cables, if connected via that way) on all the computers.

First Test: Connect the old RAID to the MBP 2013 as follows:

G-Speed (old RAID) → TB2 cable → Macbook Pro 2013 (Monterey)

Verify that this setup works fine - that you can access files on the G-Speed from the MacBook Pro 2013

Second Test: Disconnect the G-Speed (old RAID). Connect the MacBook Pro 2013 to your Mac mini M2 as follows:

MacBook Pro 2013 → TB2 cable → TB2 to TB3 adapter → Mac mini M2 (Sonoma 14.1)

Verify that you can access files, via Finder/Network, on the MacBook Pro 2013 hard drive from your Mac mini M2. You should be able to access files on the MBP hard drive from your Mac mini M2.

Third Test: Leave the MacBook Pro 2013 and Mac mini M2 connected. Reconnect the G-Speed (old RAID) to the MacBook Pro 2013 as follows:

G-Speed (old RAID) → TB2 cable → Macbook Pro 2013 (Monterey)

Verify that the G-Speed mounts on the MacBook Pro 2013 and you can access files on the G-Speed from the MacBook Pro 2013.

Fourth Test: With everything connected, from the Mac Mini M2, test that you can access files on the G-Speed (old RAID) via Finder.

Do these steps work for you? If not, let me know which steps work and which fail.

Best,
Scott

OK, I turned off the MacBook Pro 2013 wifi, and then disconnected the New and old hard drive directly to the MacBook Pro and was able to transfer everything. Thank you for all you help.